1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Denied In My Docs of Other Win XP Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BeatYou, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatYou

BeatYou Thread Starter

This is a fairly long story and a problem that is really angering me because I have very valuable documents I need to retrieve. Any help at all is welcomed greatly!

Ok so I'm on my normal machine doing normal stuff and my computer had some bad RAM so it was restarting, I was used to this for a few days and was planning on buying new RAM pretty soon. But before I had to chance to get new RAM the computer restarts one more time but this time when it boots back up all my windows XP user accounts are _gone_. They are not on the "friendly" login screen nor can I login to them through safe mode in the normal login box. This sucks. So I say "hey ill just slap this drive in another machine and get the docs I need" So I put the drive as a secondary on this machine.

Now I'm on the other machine with the win XP installation as a secondary drive (The one with the docs I need on it). Logged on an administrator account and when I try to go in the My Documents folder in the other drive of the other win XP installation I get access denied!

What Ive Tried-
    Making an admin account on this machine with same username and pass of the corresponding my documents folder that was on the other installation.

Setting up an FTPd locally and trying to list the dir, still no luck.

Please help.

2. BeatYou

BeatYou Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!