1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access denied making new folder

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TWINKIT, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TWINKIT

TWINKIT Thread Starter

Hi, I'm having a problem making a new folder inside my c:\program files\accessories folder as the OS tells me access is denied. I am the Administrator and am logged on as such. I can make a new folder if in Safe Mode, Whats the Problem here?, as an Administrator I should be able to do this and I can with any other folder I've tried on other than c:\program files\accessories?. I've tried looking at the properties for this folder and I admit I'm some what confused by it but I haven't change anything there

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Who created the program files\accessories? As far as I am aware, it is not a Vista default folder??
    Or do you mean the accessories folder in the Start menu?
    To add another folder to that, right click it and "explore"

3. TWINKIT

TWINKIT Thread Starter

I'm sure I did but if I'm wrong it could only have been Orbit Downloader as I was told there is an update for this program and when I tried to download it that is when I descovered that new folders could not be added to the c:\program files\accessories folder because the update tried to create c:\program files\accessories \"Cache" but said folder could not be created. To sum up I'm sure I created it though as my computers Adminstrator

4. TWINKIT

TWINKIT Thread Starter

Sorry forgot to mention it definatly is not the Accessories folder in the start menu. also I can create folders in the c:\program files folder it is only the c:\program files\accessories that denies me access. the message I get when trying to is "You need permision to preform this action"

5. TWINKIT

TWINKIT Thread Starter

Just discovered I can't even turn User account on or change Perental Controls

6. TWINKIT

TWINKIT Thread Starter

I thought I might try turning UAC on while in Safe mode this worked. I now have a strong belief that AVAST is the problem as this is in the c:\program files\accessories folder and possably AVAST created this folder. I tryed turning AVAST of through the stop on access provider option of AVAST but that didn't help.

7. TWINKIT

TWINKIT Thread Starter

Turns out I was right about AVAST, I disabled it but I'm not going to say how as this was an extreame measure that I don't recommend to anyone and I only found out by mistake how to do it (would never have thought that it was done how it was done), after disabling it I was able to add folders to c:\program files\accessories and so my Orbit Downloader was able to install successfully. Sorry if I wasted your time but this solution took a lot of looking outside the box thinking on my behalf to solve. Now I must hurry up and reactavate AVAST.

8. davehc

First Name:
    David
    No time wasted. I am too happy you sorted it.
    FWIW I am a satisfied Avast user. I suggest you have another look at your setup when you reenable it as I have never had the problem you describe.
    By the way. It is not a hard thing to disable Avast.
    No way did Avast create that folder.

9. TWINKIT

TWINKIT Thread Starter

I am also happy with Avast and as odd as it sounds it was only possible for me to create a new folder once Avast was disabled. Oh and in regards to disabling Avast I no I can go to the Task Bar and Right click it then select stop on access protection but thats not enough it still has a componet left in memory that stops me from creating a new folder. I have no idea why but my Avast files are within this folder c:\program files\accessories\alwil software so perhaps Avast protects its perent folder so it can't be modified by malware .

10. TWINKIT

TWINKIT Thread Starter

Oh, Dah :) I must have overiden the default folder for Avast installation to make it go into the c:\program files\accessories folder, It was so long ago I forgot, I must have been sleepy not to figure that out.

11. davehc

First Name:
    David
    OK. Keep at it. Vista is an OK OS once you work your way around the new navigation.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice