1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Denied - not part of the admin group!

Discussion in 'General Security' started by cap2587, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

My brother lives in Australia and he has a work computer. They must have him as a regular user with out admin permission. He is trying to download skype, msn IM without any luck. It says he must be part of the admin group, access denied. Is there anyway to change the permissions to download these programs and then change back once done. I don't want to get him in trouble, but It sucks that we can't talk on skype. Any ideas.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If this is a work computer, the IT department has implemented a set of rules and he cannot circumvent them. He might even get suspended for trying.

3. blitzkreig

blitzkreig

Yes I agree with Phantom010

Just ask your brother to verify whether those rules have been implemented. :)

4. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info! I know that his work must have the set up some accounts as Users. So that they can not do some things that the admin group can do. I guess the solution is either going and asking if they can put a couple of these programs on or buy a non-work pc.

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,

The section of our usage policy that was being referred to is actually seen only in the "Legal " section, which is > http://www.techguy.org/legal.html

The best thing to do would be for you to ask IT dept. , about using your own device (cell phone, other Internet enabled device, not just a computer.....)

If he has a work provided computer at home, then probably it would be best to get a second PC.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/816272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice