"Access Denied" on SOME files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mikealexa

I have two computers connected over a wireless home network. "My Documents" on computer A is shared, and I can successfully browse this folder from computer B. The problem is that there are a few files which I cannot copy from A to B. I can access them fine on A. I can't see any relationship between them. All other files copy fine. They are not (or should not be) in use (eg one is an install file for a utility).
Summary: there are a few files within a shared folder which I can copy fine on A, but not from A to B. Other files in the same folder copy fine. Any ideas?

I am assuming your running NTFS> check your permissions on these files you can't copy. Another thing that works well is if you have a fat32 USB drive copy the file to that (this gets rid of all permissions) then move it to the other PC.

If its not that try doing this right after a fresh reboot in case the install hung up some files (did you perform this utility install your trying to copy just before getting this problem?)

mikealexa

Yes, its NTFS (XP Home SP2 on both). I'm not sure how to check the permissions on the files. There are several different types of files which give me this problem (eg the catalog file from Photoshop Elements), but a total of about 15 files of different types among several thousand. I am using computer B (my laptop) as a "My Documents" backup for A. I have tried immediately after reboot, same result. I have tried turning off sharing for the whole folder, then turning it back on again ... no joy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online