1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access denied saving Group Policy changes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bearspa, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

I have a Dell Vostro running Xp Pro SP3. I was trying to disable Autorun for all devices using the Group Policy editor. I ran gpedit.msc, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System. Right-moused on Turn Off Autoplay, clicked Properties. It says Not Configured. I clicked "enabled" and "all devices". Then, if I either click Ok or Apply, I get a message that says "The Group Policy snapin was unable to save your changes due to the following error: Access is denied".

I am logged on as the Administrator.

How can I get around this?

TIA.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you made any changes to file, folder, or registry permissions? Are you part of a domain?

3. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

No such changes on this computer. I'm not part of a domain, but a network.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you open regedit?

5. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

Yes. Regedit openss fine.

6. kuzhanthaivelu

kuzhanthaivelu

Hai Bearspa,

Which Anti Virus did you installed on that pc? By that way i can help for you.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Set NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 000000FF (to disable autorun on all drives).

See if you have access there.

8. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

kuzhanthaivelu, I have Avg Anti-Virus Free.

Elvandil, I did as you suggested, and I added a Binary Value to do so---is that correct? I entered the value you suggested, and The NoDriveTypeAutoRun now shows a value of "00 ff".

When I looked at the properties of Turn Off Autocorrect using gpedit, it was still "Not configured", and still would not allow me to change it.

9. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

One more thing that seems to be happening. The system won't let me install Windows Updates. I had downloaded an update for Malicious Removal Tool (?), and I have tried to install it a couple of times, and it was unable to do so. Probably connected to the denial of acces issue, but how?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It was a test mostly to see whether the policy change was being denied because the registry key had locked permissions. But if you open regedit again and the change you made is still there (and check that key both under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and under HKEY_CURRENT_USER because it can be in both places, but the machine setting takes precedence), then it was not there that the permission was denied.

It certainly sounds like a malware problem. You should probably post a log over in Malware for them to scan for you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!