1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Access denied" to file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FredVN, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FredVN

FredVN Thread Starter

Hi,

Just created some backup (image) files using PQ Drive Image and saved them to a new hard drive formatted with NTFS. Now I get an "access denied" error when I try to move or copy them. How do I get access to these files to move them? Other file I've copied to the drive seem to be accessible.

2. Augie65

Augie65

3. FredVN

FredVN Thread Starter

4. FredVN

FredVN Thread Starter

I can't boot into safe mode. Pressing F8 repeatedly during boot up does not work. Is there a registry key or other some way that safe mode can be disables?

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If your keyboard has an 'F-Lock' key, press it first.

6. FredVN

FredVN Thread Starter

Nope, don't have an 'F Lock" key.

7. Augie65

Augie65

If you can't get into safe mode tapping F8, just turn off your computer before it boots up. When you turn it back on windows should notice that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the safe mode screen.

8. FredVN

FredVN Thread Starter

Thanks you also Augie65. The premature shutdown suggestion worked and I got into safe mode.

I got into the permissions and everyone had full control of the file. I guess I need to study up on NTFS permissions before I use NTFS formatting. Since it was a new drive I reformatted it in good old FAT32 and everything works. Thanks for the help.

9. Augie65

Augie65

You are very welcome.:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!