1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Denied to USB Drive After Vista Reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by The Skeezix, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Skeezix

The Skeezix Thread Starter

Until I reinstalled Vista my system contained an internal hard drive and two external USB-2 hard drives. The first USB drive was partitioned into E: and L: and the second into M: and N:.

After I installed Vista I could access M: and H: but not E: or L:. Those gave me an "E: is not accessible. Access is denied." message and the same for L:.

When I click on the Computer icon for E: or L: they appear selected along with their labels but when I then hover the cursor over them nothing happens. Please see attached file named "problem image 2.jpg.

If I do the same for M: and N:, or D:, I get the normal Space Free and the Total Size indication. Please see attached file named "problem image 1.jpg".

When I right-click L: I can select Properties, Tools, and Backup, and if I do a backup it is successful.

I backed up the entire L: partition and was successful but when I restored it to a new, empty partition (R:) and then tried to open R: I got the same "Access denied." message.

Finally I moved the drive to another computer and can access the files on E: but cannot access the files on L:

I don't know what to do. I'm sure this is a Vista problem and I sure could use some help. Anyone???

PROBLEM IMAGE 2 AND 1
    problem image 2.jpg
    problem image 1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. GRCScorpion

GRCScorpion

My advice is try this

It shows you how to take ownership of the USB drive which should allow you to access it.

Regards

Scorpion

3. The Skeezix

The Skeezix Thread Starter

Thank you for replying.

I've done that but I still get Access Denied.

I believe something happened to partition L's format. I can see L: but I cannot open it. I backed up that partition to a new, empty partition (S:) successfully, but when I try to open S: to do the restore I get the same result. Access Denied.

I then made another partition (T:), tried to access it but failed. Access Denied. Then I formatted T: and now I can open it.

If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice