1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Denied

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tallokas, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tallokas

Tallokas Thread Starter

I am brand new to Windows 7 - just got it today. My son set up my account and as far as I know this is how he did it: typed in my name but used no password.

Everything seems to be ok and so far I really think I'll like Windows 7 but have one question. When I try to download a program, it says access is denied. I don't know if I'm the Admin or I'm not the Admin - or some setting I need to change? Could someone please point me in the right direction to correct this?

I really don't know a lot about computers and am hoping this is a simple fix. Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas to all:eek:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where are you choosing for a download location?

3. Android_FX

Android_FX

It seems that you can download the program, but after the download you can't execute it?
    If your son setup your account, let him login with his account and give your account the administrative rights, or ask password of his account and log in with that to your computer, and then try to execute the program you downloaded.

4. Tallokas

Tallokas Thread Starter

I was trying to download yesterday's Giveaway of the Day and was going to put it in Program Files as usual. There are Program Files and Program Files x86 (don't get that at all) I can download the program(to Program Files 86) but when I click to install I get the access denied message. (My son doesn't have an account on this computer, he just came over to set everything up for me)

I said I could download the program but I can't. It appears to be downloading and when I go to the file I created there is nothing there. The error msg is C:\users\my name\downloads\program cannot create\access denied.

I really appreciate your help.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do NOT download to " Program Files or Program Files x86", this is where the installed version will be put.

The down load path should be "C:\users\my name\downloads" NOT what you posted above.

6. Tallokas

Tallokas Thread Starter

Ok I tried this and it works but I'm still confused. My mind is stuck in XP mode and there's a lot I don't understand. So in Windows 7 you don't use Program Files at all? Every download goes to C\users\myname, etc? Hopefully it will become clearer as I go along but right now it's very confusing.

It's like walking backwards around the room to get to something right in front of you:cool:

You've pointed me in the right direction and I really appreciate it.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Even in the older versions of Windows, one should NEVER copy any files into the "Programs" folder. It is there for the "Installers" to use and be Windows compliant.

One should always down the files for a program in a separate folder and then run the install from that folder. This folder can then be backed up and one will have the downloaded files, so one could rebuild their machine and have the setup files needed to install their programs.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Program Files is a system folder and one of many that you should not download into, as mentioned. For most people, there is never a reason to be in that folder at all, except to do damage. It's a fast way to get infections into the heart of the system, too. Create a Downloads folder in your profile folder, or download to the desktop if you plan to use it right away.

9. Tallokas

Tallokas Thread Starter

I never knew that about Program Files. I've just always done it this way not knowing it was the wrong thing to do. But now I know:rolleyes: So far everything is running smoothly with 7 and I'm liking what I see. I skipped Vista so have been using XP for oh so many years.

Thanks again for all your help.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, it was never a good idea to download to Program Files, as has been said. But Vista was the first to actually block it, not so much against users as against any malware that might try to download there and get the upper hand.

Enjoy.[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Tallokas

Tallokas Thread Starter

I have mended my ways thanks to you all! Everything seems to be working well now(y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice