Access Denied

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plodr

Liz
If you switch a computer from connecting to a router to connecting to a modem, you have to power down the modem. Connections to a modem are NOT plug and play. The modem remembers the MAC of a device so if it stored the router MAC and now you plug in a single computer instead, you won't get access. Turn off the modem for at least a minute to flush the memory. Then plug a single compuer in and power up the modem.

When you swap a single computer to plug into the router again, You have to power down the modem for at least a minute or nothing plugged into the router will be able to use the internet.

Evanco

Where is the blue cable going to and coming from? Unfortunately the pictures are not that bright. Can you confirm what port name or number you see!
The blue cable connects the router to the modem.

Evanco

I turned the modem off for approximately 1 minute. When I plugged the computer directly into the modem, I still got nothing. I plugged it back in the way that it was and it immediately worked; how could it do this if it wasn't 'plug-and-play'?

Evanco

The blue cable connects the router to the modem.
Update: I plugged the modem directly into the computer and this time it worked. Furthermore, I was able to log on to the sites that were denied to me. So what is wrong? Something to do with the router?

Couriant

James
Update: I plugged the modem directly into the computer and this time it worked. Furthermore, I was able to log on to the sites that were denied to me. So what is wrong? Something to do with the router?
Correct. Since you have bypassed it and now do not have any issues then it seems that something on your router is causing the problem. The best option is to do a factory reset of the router.

Make sure you notate your settings if it’s not automatic for the WAN info and any changes from the defaults for the LAN/Wireless so you can add them back in

Evanco

Correct. Since you have bypassed it and now do not have any issues then it seems that something on your router is causing the problem. The best option is to do a factory reset of the router.

Make sure you notate your settings if it’s not automatic for the WAN info and any changes from the defaults for the LAN/Wireless so you can add them back in
How do I factory reset it?

Couriant

James
Depends on the router but there is usually a small pinhole to push and hold in with a paper clip for about 10 seconds.

Evanco

I tried a factory reset and even updated the firmware. Didn't work.

Couriant

James
I tried a factory reset and even updated the firmware. Didn't work.
OK. At this point it looks like there is something within the router that’s preventing the devices. It looks like you will need to replace it

Evanco

Balls! That sucks. Thank you so much for your help. At least I know where the problem lies.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online