Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Access Denied

2K views 24 replies 3 participants last post by  Evanco 
#1 ·
Access Denied: You Don't Have Permission to Access ****** On This Server

Hello, I have recently been getting the above message whenever I try to log in to some sites. It wasn't like this until a few days ago. Why is this happening? Some places say that I need to use a VPN to resolve this, but I shouldn't need to; why does it all-of-a-sudden not work? I am using Mozilla Firefox, but other browsers and even other devices can't log on to those sites.

#9 ·
OK. So the issue is present with any device in your network. Then either you have a device on your network that filters traffic (I have one for my kids called Circle) or your router has the filtering. Do you have a modem/router combination or do you a separate router?

#11 ·
If you have a separate router then let’s connect a computer directly to the modem and shut down both for a few minutes. If your modem is also used for cable phone, remove the battery. Then power up the modem only after a few minutes and once powered and showing online status turn on the computer and you should be online. Try the sites and see if you get the same issue.

#13 ·
I need both because I need to use WiFi if I want to use the internet on my iPad.
Right but for a test, you would need to bypass the router to see if you get the same issues, then you can confirm that the issue is on the ISP side.

#16 ·
If you switch a computer from connecting to a router to connecting to a modem, you have to power down the modem. Connections to a modem are NOT plug and play. The modem remembers the MAC of a device so if it stored the router MAC and now you plug in a single computer instead, you won't get access. Turn off the modem for at least a minute to flush the memory. Then plug a single compuer in and power up the modem.

When you swap a single computer to plug into the router again, You have to power down the modem for at least a minute or nothing plugged into the router will be able to use the internet.

#18 ·
I turned the modem off for approximately 1 minute. When I plugged the computer directly into the modem, I still got nothing. I plugged it back in the way that it was and it immediately worked; how could it do this if it wasn't 'plug-and-play'?

#20 ·
Correct. Since you have bypassed it and now do not have any issues then it seems that something on your router is causing the problem. The best option is to do a factory reset of the router.

Make sure you notate your settings if it's not automatic for the WAN info and any changes from the defaults for the LAN/Wireless so you can add them back in

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.