1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Denied

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by AZSalsman, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AZSalsman

AZSalsman Thread Starter

I am having an issue with my desktop computer.

Running Vista Pro.

I don't know how to explain this for every search for answers have come up dry.

Somehow, my C: drive is listed as "Access Denied". Double clicking to open it up presents an alert "Access Denied". In fact, something even changed the name of the drive to "Access Denied".

I can run programs for the most part such as iTunes. I can access all the files in the Users folder but cannot always save to it. Anything that requires root operations is in accessible or telling me I don't have "permission to access the file"

For one, if I go the properties of any folder, I am completely missing the "Security Tab" (thinking I can change permissions). Anything such as running "regedit" or "msconfig" only presents me an "alert" saying that I don't have permission to access the files or program. Although I can run the cmd program. Anything such as msconfig returns an error 5 access denied.

What is going on? Or can you at least as me the right information I should offer to identify the problem.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. AZSalsman

AZSalsman Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed response.

I tried each and every one of your options. I did not bother with ones that guide me to the Security tabs because I have none. But all of the other options always come up with "access denied". I am running CMD as administrator but to now avail.

The MUST be some solution. I just don't know where to turn.

:eek:

4. Phantom010

First, disable the UAC.

Next,

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

If you can't run the program in Normal Mode, try it in Safe Mode.

5. AZSalsman

AZSalsman Thread Starter

Thanks for the next suggestion. I had trouble with HijackThis.

The log file it produced was this:
    However, when trying to run it, I got this alert message
    So I am not sure it ran properly (it did go quick). Does this mean anything?

6. Phantom010

It's most likely that HijackThis is trying to access a volume that just does not exist. (Instead of C, your %systemroot% is now "Access Denied")

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try booting into Safe Mode. And see if you could take ownership of the drive again.

8. AZSalsman

AZSalsman Thread Starter

@Phantom010 What does that mean? Am I completely out of luck? I know that I can access part of C: drive as I can access files that are under the "User" section of Windows such as My Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc.

@lunarlander I have tried both for almost everything.

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

Nothing I know of will change the label of a drive to Access Denied. I would have to assume that somebody had maliciously done that.

Since you still have read access to your files, I would backup to a usb stick and reinstall Vista.

10. AZSalsman

AZSalsman Thread Starter

Thanks. It is validating that that is what I might have to do but discouraging that I might have to do that. My other problem is that I do not have the original Vista installation disks. So that is not a possibility. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 anyway and this might be the time to do it. If I do so, does it sound like I will need a whole new version or with the Windows 7 upgrade work?

My other fear is that won't even allow an OS installation since I can't install anything as is. It won't even let me reformat the drive since it is operating the OS. Meaning I may ALSO mean getting a new drive.

The most discouraging things is that I am out of work so EVERY penny matters at the moment.

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

Do you have a Windows sticker on the side of the PC that has the serial code? Because the code is all that matters. You can borrow a Vista DVD from someone and use that code and it is still legit.

Nothing can stop a reinstallation of Windows. Because you are booting from a CD/DVD and bypassing all the problems with the current installed Windows. When you boot from a CD / DVD, it bypasses the current setup of Windows.

12. AZSalsman

AZSalsman Thread Starter

No. I actually had the system built by an IT guy a few years ago and not sure I can really be in contact with him now.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice