1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access - Edit Existing Records in a Subform

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by SamKeela, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SamKeela

SamKeela Thread Starter

Is it possible to view and edit existing records in a Subform? And by existing records I mean those created in a previous session of the database (saved and closed, then reopened). I've already set my subform properties Continuous form, Data Entry = No, Allow Edits = Yes. I can view existing records on my main form but not on the subform.
    Help!

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Have you set up the Master Child link Correctly so that when the Mainform displays a record the subform displays the correct records to match it?

3. SamKeela

SamKeela Thread Starter

I'm confident it's set up correctly. I can create records in my sub form and everything links up correctly when I run my reports etc. I also have a duplicate record validation that prompts when I create a new record with a duplicate value in the primary field. I would attach it but I can't seem to get it small enough to load, even in .zip. Is there another way of sending you a copy?

4. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Have you Compacted & Repaired it before trying to zip it, Access creates lots of backup stuff that is removed when you compact it.

5. SamKeela

SamKeela Thread Starter

Yes, I tried. My zip file is still just under 800kb.

6. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

OK, I will private mail you my email address and you can send it to me.

7. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Can you check your email spam folder as I have emailed you, I am having problems with the Evaluation Table, it has Access 2010 features that Access 2007 cannot read.

8. SamKeela

SamKeela Thread Starter

Could it be a checkbox field? Or I do have a query built into one of the fields that helps auto-populate other fields
    Did you get my file I sent via email, saved as a 2003 mbd file?

9. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

No I haven't received anything from you other than the first email.
    It could well be the Query built in to the fields.

10. SamKeela

SamKeela Thread Starter

ok, let me try sending again. Could screen shots of the property sheets be helpful in the meantime?

11. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

The property sheet won't help much, I need to be able to dig in to the data and other relationships.

12. SamKeela

SamKeela Thread Starter

I've resent from my work email in hopes it reaches you faster.

13. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I have the Access 2003 database and I have looked at your relationship, can you tell me what the relationship is between the Evaluation Table and the Requirements Table.
    Is the ReqID in the Evaluation table the the control or the one in the Requirements table?

14. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I have sent you a working version of your database Main/Subforms.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice