1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access - Expression Builder problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by twoyankeez, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twoyankeez

twoyankeez Thread Starter

I am trying to build an expression in my Access report. It is a simple report with dollar amounts by each Donor. I want the expression to total the donation amounts. I have placed a text box from the control box in the footer and have gotten as far as building the expression. I have it total but when I view the sheet there is nothing there. I wrote the formula as: sum=[(sponsorship amounts)] I formatted the block as "Currency" because the first time I did it it totaled fine but did not appear with a dollar sign. When I changed it to Currency, NOTHING appeared. What am I doing wrong? Is there a simpler way to do this? :confused:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try taking the format off again and see if it works OK - just in case something else has changed. Then at least you know ots the format fuction....

3. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

You were close. Type =([sponsorship amounts]) - please note the placement of parens and brackets...yours were reversed.

This assumes that the "sponsorship amounts" field is the one that is attached to each donor in the detail of the report.

MBN

4. twoyankeez

I actually entered it correctly, but reversed the formula when I typed it here. I tried removing the format and nothing appears still.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so you said in your post - it worked before you formated, but did not display properly - so what else did you change, other than the format

6. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

I don't think you need to have the word "sum" there.

If, in the textbox you just type in from the =, you should be okay.

MBN

7. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

Which "Footer" are you working in? The Page or the Report Footer?

You can't calculate in the Page footer, but you can get the value to appear by referring to it from elseware.

8. twoyankeez

I am in the page footer. Let me try moving it. Thanks so much!! :D

9. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

Go into "Sorting/Grouping" to activate your Footer for the Donor, and place the expression there.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice