1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

access floppy disk drive and cd-rom drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cpaplanner, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cpaplanner

cpaplanner Thread Starter

I have a HP pavilion 8562 computer running windows 98se operating system.
    My sbc dsl 2wire network went down. After I re-establish the network and dsl I could not access my floppy disk drive or my cd-rom drives (2).
    I checked the ide cables and anything is connected correctly. My Computer shows all 3 drives but when I try to access them I get access denied message. The drives are as follows:
    Aopen CD-RW CRW 3248
    Liteon DVD-Rom LTD 163
    Mitusmi 1.44 standard floppy disk drive
    I have tried to download drivers but to no avail. How do I get my computer to recognize the 3 drives ? Thanks for your help.

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

Boot into dos (hit F8 repeatedly when the machine is booting and select safe mode command prompt only)
    and see if you can access the floppy drive under dos,

if so something is fudged, you will probably need to reinstall your motherboard drivers. (there are no drivers for a floppy)

If that doesn't work you can try deleting the devices while in safe mode from the system panel and see if they properly reinstall.

Last ditch effort would be to reinstall windows :(

Play around and see. From what I gather on the net once you see that error, usually you have to reinstall windows

If you can't access the floppy drive under dos something is really wrong, I would suggest resetting the cmos and seeing what happens.

Good Luck

3. cpaplanner

cpaplanner Thread Starter

I have checked cmos and it seems to be ok. If I can't access either the floppy drive or the cd-rom drive how would I re-install windows 98se. That is what I would rather do. Thanks for your response. I appreciate it very much.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Set the cmos to boot from floppy first and put the windows 98 boot floppy into the floppy drive. See if the system can boot to the floppy. Then you know if you have a hardward or software problem. If the boot floppy can be read try starting the system with cdrom support and see if you can access the cdrom drive from DOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice