1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access - Folders for Organization?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by twoyankeez, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twoyankeez

twoyankeez Thread Starter

Is there any way to create folders in access? I have dozens of queries and reports and when I go to view them I have to search for what I want. Is there a way to have folders to place your queries in?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    To my knowledge, no.

However, you should be able to create yourself a menu (switchboard) system from which you can run the queries. Make a form in design view. Put a command button on it that runs the first query of a group of queries. If you've installed Access correctly, then the wizard should kick in and ask...what do you want this command button to do? You tell it to run whatever query you use most in *group X*, where *group X* ought to be pre-defined by you as one group of your queries. Make a command button the same way for each query in Group X. Then title the form "Group X Queries". Make Group Y and Group Z query forms. Then make a form with 3 buttons on it. The first command button opens Group X's form, the 2nd opens Group Y, etc....with me?

3. twoyankeez

twoyankeez Thread Starter

Thanks..I will give that a try. I think I may not have the full version of Access so I will be surprised if I can do this. Our company only has a couple of fully licensed copies that aren't available to everyone.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    If you can view the queries, you MUST have a full version of Access on your PC. If the Wizards don't work, it's just more difficult to create those forms... ask them to do a "run all from my computer" install on your PC and you should then have the wizards.

5. Rockn

Rockn

You can also label your queries which comes in handy as well. Right click in the pane with all the queries and select details view. Right click a query and select properties, type a description in the description box.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Yes, but Rockn:

ROFL!!

7. kbstoikop

kbstoikop

the best way i find to sort out things in access is to create seperate databses with related forms and use links to the necessary tables in the original databases.

8. kbstoikop

kbstoikop

it will work for queries forms and reports

9. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

I would make the a form or switch board also using the wizard, but more to your question you can create folders in the lower pane. One folder is already created called favorites. You can add other folders by right clicking this area, then just drag and drop your queries. This will create "Shortcuts" to the queries (or other objects).

The other thing to do is use prefixes in your naming convention so they will sort and group accordingly.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice