1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access form clears all fields

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Charmian, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charmian

Charmian Thread Starter

I've looked for this and people don't seem to have the problem. I have a form that populates a single database. on enter a new refreshed form is presented to the user - but now my user has requested that 3 fields on the form not clear. She wants to be able update them if needed, but generally they will not be changed during a batch of input, after she has entered them the first time. How do I STOP them clearing?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Personally I would make an unbound form and populate the tables via VBA. All of the form fields will stay populated or you can also code to clear only the fields you like after the tables have been updated.

3. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

As far as I know you can't without using VBA code.
    You can assign the 3 field's input value to Public variables and for each new record assign the variable values back to the blank fields.
    If the fields are todays date then that can be covered using the Default value property.

4. Charmian

Charmian Thread Starter

So...Form will have those fields as blank public fields on first presentationAfter fist enter (so on afterupdate) those fields will be populated on the form, but will have to be assigned to the database (where at present access handles the update)They may change these value; (they come from another table; but are saved via the form as foreign keys - if they are NEW they are added to the table affected; but that is ALREADY done via VB code.Why does this not look as simple as it writes? One is a date; but the date is not today's date. It could take some days for the forms to arrive at the datacapturer.On a different question - I need to hire someone to get our system onto share point server with lists - someone that can do the job and teach my colleague and I. Any recommendations as to who to contact to get in touch with that type of person in South Africa? All the sites I look at are offering courses of how to SELL sharepoint; not what I want - I want to go that route; but don't have the time to go through the learning curve painfully.

5. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Public Variables are VBA variables that you can assign data to, they are called public because they can be used by any form in the database.
    Regarding the Sharepoint, you could try your local Microsoft office to see if they have any recommendations.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice