1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Form: Do Not Open Exclusive

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hotdiamond, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotdiamond

hotdiamond Thread Starter

Is there a way to set up an Access database in which more than one user can open and save changes at the same time?

2. coachdan32

coachdan32

You can lock it at the record level, so only one person can make changes to a particular record, but other records are accessible. You do not want someone to be able to access a record that is currently being changed, you will get inconsistency on record accuracy.

3. hotdiamond

Yes, that is what I want. How do I go about this?

Thanks in advance.

4. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

A database defaults to open without exclusive use. So you should not have to do anything.

5. coachdan32

coachdan32

Specify the default record-locking strategy used in a multiuser environment in an Access database
    On the Tools menu, click Options.

Click the Advanced tab.

In the Default Record Locking box, click the option you want.

6. hotdiamond

CoachDan,

I've already tried that, and it does not work. If I have the database open, when someone else attempts to open the database, it gives them a message saying that "they do not have exclusive rights to the database and any changes they make may not be saved." Then they still cannot get into the database b/c the error message continues to pop up. And the only way to get out is to Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

I am attaching a picture of what I have checked under options. I also tried it with "open databases using record-level locking" unchecked.

Attached Files:

7. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

hotdiamond, the error message sounds as if you are opening the database in "exclusive" mode because you are the administrator.
    Have you converted the database to a "Secure" version using the Security" Wizard?
    If you do this you can then set up the users groups which will allow you to log on as a user rather than as an administrator as well as having an administrator log on.

8. hotdiamond

I think that may be the problem. I'll try that and let you know if it works.

Thanks.

9. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

Let us know if you need any help with it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice