1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access form not displaying all data

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by RachT, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RachT

RachT Thread Starter

Hi,

I am trying to create a data entry form for a large database. There is a parent form with 6 forms linked with a one-to-one relationship (due to a large number of fields) and several tables linked with a one-to-many. All have auto update/delete checked. The date entry form uses tab control (across 11 tabs) and subforms for some of the tables. I have two problems...

Firstly, if I enter part of the data for a new record in the form (eg fill in tabs 1-3) and then close it, the data appears in the tables, but when I re-open the form the record does not appear, so it is impossible to complete the data entry.

Secondly, when using the tab key to move through the fields in the table, when I get to the end of a tab control, instead of moving to the next tab control for the same record, it moves to a new record on the same tab.

I am fairly new to access and not familiar with all the code etc behind it, so I would be grateful for any advice!

Thanks

2. Rockn

Rockn

You might want to try a tabbed form instead of hundreds of sub forms with each tab basically having the same function.

3. RachT

RachT Thread Starter

Thanks, I have tried this but have too many fields so need at least some sub-forms...

4. Rockn

Rockn

If the form is bound to the table and you close it, it will never open to the same record. You should really create a separate set of forms for displaying the data and another set for data entry. Using the same forms for both can be problematic at best. I guess you did state you were using a tabbed form.

5. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

The tabbing through fields is controlled by the Form's "Cycle" property, it defaults to "All Records" and you need to set it to "Current Record".
    The data from the same table should not be on separate "Subforms", only on separate tabs of the main form. ie all the tabs should use the mainform's Record Source and Field List.
    How many fields do you have?
    Can you show a Print Screen of your table Relationships?

6. RachT

RachT Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm sure this is a terrible design but I am new to Access and have a huge amount of data to work with... not quite sure what to do with it! I have read about normalisation and tried to apply the principles but still have >255 fields that relate directly to the interview respondent (so I have split up one main table into several one-to-one), and there is no data duplicated in the tables other than their ID number. The same applies to the form, as the fields >255 had to be contained in a subform as far as I can see...

In terms of the data entry, I'm not too worried about being able to see past data entered - the only issue is if a record is partly entered, when the form is re-opened it appears not to be possible to continue entering data on the same record. For example, there were 417 entries when I made this form. I added a new one by entering the ID number and just a couple of other fields. When I open the form and go to the last entry though, it still shows the last record as being 417, although the new entry, 418, appears in the tables.

Thanks for the info on the Cycle property, sounds like one thing I might be able to fix!

I have attached a print screen of the relationships.

Attached Files:

7. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

OK, now I understand. The reason that the new record does not show up is probably because there is no related record in the other 1 to 1 tables.
    Try adding data to just one field to each table to test this out.
    If after adding the data you can now see the records I would suggest doing the following.
    Add a dummy field to each of the subtables and use VBA to add some data to all of them when the first field is filled in on the main form.
    This will force the creation of the necessary ID autonumber value to correctly relate the tables.
    The other option is to give the other tables their own Autonumber fields and use the ID as a Number type long to link the tables/Subforms, the number would then be generated by the Master/Child links on the main/subforms.

8. RachT

RachT Thread Starter

Thanks so much - this makes sense! Yes it works if I enter the ID number for each table. Will try the autonumber option as wouldnt know where to start with VBA! Thanks for your help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice