1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

access front and backend separation, server client development

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Sibtain Hamayun, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sibtain Hamayun

Sibtain Hamayun Thread Starter

Dear all
    i am trying to separate the front and back end of my access database . so that the tables are placed at one separate location and the .mde files can be distributed to users .
    BUT the problem is that,

1) i dont know how to build this server/client stuff.
    2) how can i make my .mde file (which at the moment is accessing data from its own tables) fetch data from another computer on the network.
    for instance lets take the northwind database , it takes data from its own tables. what are the modifications which i can apply to it.

:eek::):):rolleyes:

2. Fluffmatic

Fluffmatic

That's an easy one :)

(although this isn't strictly speaking client/server design, but its what you're asking for, and something I've done before)

1) Create a network location that everyone who needs to access the database can access in the same way (i.e. the same drive letter)
    2) Create a copy of your database in that location
    3) Delete all queries, forms, macros, reports etc from the "back-end" database copy
    4) Delete all the tables from your "front-end" database copy
    5) Create table links in your "front-end" database to the "back-end" (In Access 2007, this is "External data" \ "Access" \ "Link to the datasource"... in Access 2003 its on the file menu I think "File \ get external data \ link tables"

That'll get you the "front-end" \ "back-end" split, then to create an MDE file you just need to go to "Database tools \ Make MDE" and save this and send it to your users.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/812208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice