1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access help needed

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Ref2335, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ref2335

Ref2335 Thread Starter

I'm hoping I can get some help here on an Access database I'm working on.

What I'm trying to do is build a form that has an area the user can type into, from there Access will look to a Query I have set up and return the results from the matching field. I'm sure its fairly simple to do but I am a novice Access user.

2. OBP

OBP

Ref, yes it is fairly simple, do you want it search and match up data in just one field, or more than one field?
    The next question is do you want an Exact Match or any Partial matches?
    For instance Select a Name from current records and only that name or search a name field for "Jones" and it will find anybody with the name Jones.

3. Ref2335

Ref2335 Thread Starter

I'll see if I can explain it. It needs to be an exact match and what I need to match up is the user inputted field with a query that matches that data to 4 related cells.

Query will have "1234" lined up with cells that state red, bright, short, summer.

What I want is for the user to be able to key in 1234 and for Access to return all the instances of 1234 and all related fields from the query thats set up.

Does that make sense?

4. OBP

OBP

Ref, yes, although if the 1234 is some kind of "Item" number then you should have a Combo Box to select it to save typing errors.
    But assume that your Form is called "Search" and your Field that you type in the number 1234 is called "Item" then you type in the Criteria Row for the field that has the 1234s in
    forms![Search]![Item]

ie. Forms![Form Name]![Field Name]

5. Ref2335

Ref2335 Thread Starter

OBP, I believe we are quite close. A combo box is not what I want as I need the user to type in their data, an not match it to a drop down. If access autocompletes it as the user types in the data, thats great. Then the user needs to hit return to see all matches to the data they inputted. There may be up to 20 instances of their originating data which will show many different related fields tied to that original data.

I am not seeing the criteria row you are mentioning.

6. OBP

OBP

In Design View the Criteria rows are those rows under the Field data, the heading "Criteria" is on the extreme left under Sort & Show, see the attached Excel sheet with a Screenshot.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice