1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Help - Search Function

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kristywillis15, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kristywillis15

kristywillis15 Thread Starter

I've been trying to figure out for a few hours how to do what I want to do by looking at this site and searching youtube videos and either I am just not following the instruction or I am trying to do something I can't do.

When I select "Edit Existing File" on the switchboard I either want an entire drop down list that shows company, first name and last name OR a search box where you can type in the company and the list of all of the people at the company shows up. I want the end user to then be able to select the record and edit.

When I did a combo box with company, first name and last name I would select the record and it would show me the company but the name associated with my selection wouldn't be the name that was showing.

Does anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong?

2. OBP

OBP

The simplest way to what you want is create a form to display the data that you need and then add a "Find" combo.
    When you created your combo did you select the 3rd option of "find a record matching my combo selection"?

3. kristywillis15

I did. However, in my company column the same company could be listed 10 times with 10 different names. So when I made my combo box I selected company, first name and last name. However, if I pick Company A - John Doe it will come up with Company A - Another name at the company.

I'm sure there is a much easier and more efficient way to do what I'm trying to do. I just don't know what that way is.

4. OBP

OBP

Ensure that the first column of the combo is the CompanyID key field and that is what the search is on, not the name.
    Hide the first column.
    You can also use a query to concatenate the Company and name so that they both show on the combo after selection.

5. kristywillis15

OK I am getting there. I now have a combo box and when I select a "company - last name" from the combo box the correct information in my table pulls up.

My new problem is that all of the company names are not in alphabetical order. I've made sure my query is in alphabetical order. Actually, it is in alphabetical order but it splits up for some reason. It goes A - Z and then after Z it starts again with a bunch of data from A - Z. There are 8881 records total. Up to record 8558, everything is in alphabetical order. Then, the remaining 300 plus records are in alphabetical order also but not as a whole with the rest of the records.

Am I making any sense?

6. kristywillis15

Actually I think I fixed it. Thanks for your help!

7. OBP

OBP

Well done. (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice