1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Help

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by fatbobthefirst, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst Thread Starter

I am trying to make up a Database that we can enter data on Licensing of different products we have here. I want to keep track of the Dates the Licenses need to be renewed.

So what I have made so far.

IS 2 tables One I have called Customers in here I have all the info I need.
    The other Table I called VL Info. This is where I want all the License Numbers, Product, and Expire Dates.

In the Form I have all the stuff to fill in. I want to add in this form the Info for the License stuff. I added a SubForm and picked the VL INFO Table.
    So here is what I get.
    I get the look I want, it shows the info from that VL Info.
    But when I click on the main page to go to the next record, the VL info stays the same. Am I not linking something correctly?
    When I go to record 2 I would like it to be blank or be what it would be assigned to Record 2.

Hope this make sense....

2. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

Yes it makes sense, have you linked the Main and Subform - Master/Child Links?
    Have you set up "Relationships"?
    Can you post a zipped copy of the database on here, it does not need to have any data in it?

3. fatbobthefirst

Ok here is what I have so far.
    Its just basic and just starting off.
    I am not concerned about the look yet.
    Its just getting that SubForm to change to the next record.

Attached Files:

• db3.zip
      File size:
      50.9 KB
      Views:
  4. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

Here it is with the links made between the 2 forms.
    Your subform would be more versatile in the future if you made it "Continuous Forms" rather than Datasheet.

Attached Files:

• db3.zip
      File size:
      15.6 KB
      Views:
  5. fatbobthefirst

Maybe I am looking to do something else.
    The Sub Form I can enter stuff in now. But it disappears.
    So say if I went to the Main Record and put in another Subform item. It stays until you change the Main Record.
    It keeps all the info in the Table but doesnt show it on the screen.
    Maybe that is what your talking about with the Continuous Forms?

6. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

I have had a look at your Table Relationships and key fields and there is some confusion there.
    Which of the Tables is the "Master" table, the Customer table or the VL table?
    The reason for asking is the Master table should only have 1 instance of the data in it, ie a Customer name only once or a Product only once.
    I would have thought that for this application you would want the Customer Name to be the Master Table with a unique key field that is then used to list the software items and licences that they possess in the VL table. This will allow you to create a "one to many" relationship.
    Whereas your current setup has a one to one relationship which to list a customers software if the have 2 programs you would need to put them in twice.
    Would you like me to reset the key fields and relationships so that this will work more efficiently?

The form in "Continuous" mode looks like a datasheet but it has far more controls and usability built in.

7. fatbobthefirst

Ok I think I got it going now How I would want it.
    It seems to work.

So Thanks for you help.

Wondering if you can take one look at this and let me know how to fix the Subform Look.
    I want the subform look to look like the top Form.
    I didnt want it looking like the table look.
    But it keeps going that way .

Attached Files:

8. fatbobthefirst

Got it working.
    I think I am on my way now.

9. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

Sorry not to get back to you before, I have been decorating and preparing dinner.
    All you needed to was to change the form from datasheet to "Single Form", which I assume you have done. Your Releatuonships look much better now too.
    If you need any more help just let me know, I have already helped a couple of other posters with Computer and Software licensing.

10. fatbobthefirst

I will attach the newest update.

What I am wondering how to do is.
    Either to make a Report or Queries.

I want to be able to put in a range for the dates. So in the Form I might have the Expiration date Feb 2007.

In a Report I might want to say Dates between November 2006 and March 2007.
    It would bring up the dates between these in a report that would list all the infomation.

Attached Files:

11. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

The simplest way to set up the Form or report to show either a date or a range between 2 dates is to have a form that sets them and then use that form's fields as the criteria for the query that supplies the data to a "Display" form or a report.
    I will create a simple on for you.
    By the way it is good practice to base all of your Forms on Queries rather than taking the data straight from the table. It allows you to do things like sorting and/or filtering before they get to the form.

12. fatbobthefirst

Sounds good.
    I will look for that one your creating.

Thanks again for all your help.

13. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

Here it is, it uses a Search Dates table/query/form to run a report where the query is filtered by the start and finish dates.
    To try it open the Search Dates Form.
    I have not bothered to format or pretty up the report, it is just as the Report wizard produced it. I am sure you can have a play around with it.
    If you want to use a single date we will have to make some mods to the search form and reports query, but it doesn't take too much work.
    ps if you set both dates to blank they will disappear and you will have to put one or both of them in the table.

Attached Files:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice