1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Access is Denied' in Recovery Console

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Spookster831, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spookster831

Spookster831 Thread Starter

I have had a problem with the missing file windows\system32\config\system and I have tried the fixes outlined on microsoft.com, however I am encountering a problem. When I go into the recovery area it does not ask me which version I want to use and doesn't ask me for a password. Then when I type a command it tells me 'access is denied'. I have gotten some commands to work (ie chkdsk, chkdsk /r fix, and fixboot). Also, when it wants me to type a command it has C:\> before it and doesn't mention windows anywhere. I would really appreciate it if someone would help - there are a few files on the computer that I would really like to keep! thanks.

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

3. Spookster831

Yeah I read that but when I type 'md temp' I get 'access denied' so I can't continue.

4. cgesicki

cgesicki

your probably running the command from C:\ instead of C:\Windows
    To get to the Windows directory use this command from the prompt: cd windows
    If u can get to C:\Windows then run the commands indicated by the article.

5. unbidden

unbidden

I would slave the drive to another computer and back up any and all critical data; then re-install the hard drive and run a repair installation.

6. bbearren

bbearren

Have you tried to run sfc /scannow from a command prompt?

7. Spookster831

How do you slave the computer? Is this complicated?

What does the sfc /scannow do? Should I run it in the C:\ prompt in the recovery console?

Thanks for the help!

8. Spookster831

I typed cd windows and it said it was an invalid command

9. unbidden

unbidden

I just noticed you are running a laptop. You would need an adapter to slave the hard drive to a desktop; so for now I don't think that is an option. FWIW the adapter is about $30.

As far as running sfc /scannow:
    If I'm reading your manual correctly, the Inspiron 6000 does not come with a recovery cd; rather it has Symantec PC Restore which is a ghost image on a hidden partition. That utility doesn't allow for repair installs, only full format and installs, thus you loose all created data. If the data in question is that important, either go to a local computer store and have them slave the drive and extract the data or purchase the aforementioned adapter and have a computer savvy friend slave the drive.

Be patient, someone may have a better solution for you.

10. Spookster831

Ok, I just dropped off the laptop at a computer repair shop and the guy said he could probably save the data, so thanks!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice