1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

access is denied message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by empty_pocket, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empty_pocket

empty_pocket Thread Starter

I have a prob with System Volume Information folders. I understand the Sys. Vol. Info. folder in the root directory is supposed to be there, but after installing Microsoft's Baseline Security Analyzer a new Sys. Vol. Info. (SVI) folder appeared under C:\ and on my external hard drive J:\.

SVI folders details--
    root directory SVI folder:
    Size: 49.6MB
    Size on disk: 22.8MB
    Contents: 44 files, 5 folders

C:\SVI folder--
    Same details as root directory SVI folder

J:\SVI folder--
    Size: 0 bytes
    Size on disk: 0 bytes
    Contents: 0 files, 0 folders

I've read VERY many of your posts concerning "Access is denied" probs and tried all the suggestions to delete the 2 "extra" SVI folders. So far, I've tried Killbox, MoveOnBoot, HJT (delete a file on reboot), and followed Microsoft's Article 308421 (How To Take Ownership Of A File Or Folder In Windows XP) in Safe Mode with no success whatsoever.

In Killbox nothing happens. In MoveOnBoot nothing happens. In HJT when I choose the J:\SVI folder, this message appears: J:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.

I can delete the 2 offending SVI folders in Safe Mode using Microsoft's article, but upon rebooting into normal Windows, the 2 folders magically reappear as if I hadn't done a thing.

I realize that I can hide these folders by checking that item in Tools>Folder Options>View, but I want to be able to see those particular folders/files. This is how I noticed this prob to begin with. I'd like these 2 SVI folders GONE because I don't believe they were there before.

I'm hoping that someone can help me solve this irritation because it's about to drive me to drink (more than I already do). If anyone has any suggestions, please don't go guru on me because I know just enough about pc's to be dangerous. Thanks in advance for ANY new help.

Windows XP Home w/Media Center, SP2
    HP Pavilion a1412n
    Intel 2.8 GHz Pentium D w/Viiv technology
    512MB RAM
    C:\ drive--
    Samsung SP2004C, 177GB, NTFS file system
    J:\ drive--
    Maxtor 6L200R0 USB external enclosed, AC power, 189GB, NTFS file system
    DSL internet connection
    all Microsoft updates current
    AVG Anti-virus, AVG Anti-spyware, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, Adaware, Windows
    Defender, A-squared Free, CCleaner, MS Baseline Security Analyzer has been uninstalled
    (all are current versions)

2. empty_pocket

empty_pocket Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!