Access mail merge formatting problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shine

I've run a search on this problem but nothing came up - hopefully someone can give me a hand.

The problem comes when I try to produce a mail merge from data in Access. I've got a query based on a table with a number of dates in it. In the table, I've formatted the dates as the long setting e.g. 9th December 2004.

Once I run a mail merge on the query, the dates come out in Word in the short form. However, they don't even follow the short date that's set in my regional settings (for English dates) instead coming out as the American version e.g. 12/9/04

I tried right-clicking on the merge field and selecting Edit field, but this only enables me to change the case of the field - as if Word is seeing it as a text-only field.

Is it possible to change a setting so the date will merge into Word in the format I specified in Access? I'm running Office 2003.

Thanks for any help

Shine

Doh! Don't worry, ignore this - it's sorted now. I did a bit more digging around and found out that what I didn't know was you can change the merge codes.

For anyone with a similar question, what I did was press Alt + F9 to display the merge codes, then add \@"dd MMMM yyyy" to the end of the merge code. This changes the format.

In you word document, right click the mege field and selct toggle field code, then add what is show in bold below, click update field and your should be right.

{MERGEFIELD “YourDateField” \@ “d MMMM yyyy” \*MERGEFORMAT }

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online