1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access my computer from another computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by knowslittle, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knowslittle

knowslittle Thread Starter

I would like to access my computer from a different computer. I think there is a way to set it up, but I don't know how. Can someone tell me in layman's terms how to do it? Thanks.

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

3. Prof

Prof

I saw this on another forum......it may be of help.
    To connect to your computer from another computer .......bring up the web site of your Internet Service Provider (ex.:www.comcast.net) and then find the page dealing with e-mails. Some ISP's call it "mailzone", "freezone" or "mail-inbox".Once on this page a box appears to enter your e-mail address and password. This gives access to youe e-mail account.
    In this way you could correspond with family and friends without using the phone.
    Hope I explained it properly.

4. Bruce319

Bruce319

Knowslittle, if you just want to check your email from another computer, then as Prof said, go to your ISP website-may it be www.aol.com or whatever it is-then enter your username and password to check your email. But if you would like to retrieve a word file and make some modifications to a file away from home, or you wish to play with your computer settings as though you were at the computer, then follow my fisrt reply.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are they in the same location?

6. knowslittle

Bruce 319 and Prof: I really was wanting to do what Bruce 319 spoke of--but hopefully for free. Guess I can't. At the least, however, I want to do what Prof spoke of--access my e-mail--and I guess I can do that without charge.
    AcaCandy: No. I'm thinking of the times I visit sons in two different states from where I live.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

8. knowslittle

Thanks, johnwill. I looked at both sites and they appear to be what I'm looking for. Not sure when I will try one or another, but thanks again.

9. Prof

Prof

Thanks johmwill.......that looks like the best solution.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

UltraVNC has file transfer and a fancier video scheme, OTOH tightVNC has simplicity and stability on it's side. :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice