1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access not allowing new records

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ka23fabulous, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ka23fabulous

ka23fabulous Thread Starter

Hi!
    I am operating in Windows XP and switched from Office 2000 to Office 2003 about a year ago. I created a database for storing environmental data for my company near the end of 2005. I linked the tables in the database to worksheets in an excel file so that we could manipulate the numbers a little better, but have the convenience of the searchability of access. Everything worked fine until I switched over to 2003. When I went into my database it would not let me edit the data or enter new records. Since then, I've been having to logon to other computers in the office who still have Office 2000 to enter the info.

Well, two weeks ago all of the other computers in the office were switched over to Office 2003 and now, I can't get enter anything. I even recreated both the spreadsheet and the database and it still will not let me edit or add. Any ideas?

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

I was going to say to check what version Access is set to run, under Options/Advanced. but you said you recreated it in 2003, so that does not seem to be the problem??

but are you getting any error messages when you try to add/edit records? If so Post the message

3. OBP

OBP

Can you post a copy or email it to me?
    Have you Used Access 2003 in Access 2000 mode?

4. ka23fabulous

I am not getting any error messages, I just can't edit.

And to OBP, I have used Access 2003 in Access 2000 mode.

5. ka23fabulous

And I would be glad to post or email a copy, just let me know where.

6. OBP

OBP

Sorry I only have Access 2002 (xp) not Access 2003. But I am still willing to take a look at it if you can send it to me as an Access database.

One question, have you tried actually converting the database to Access 2003?

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

I have 2003 so I would be glad to look at it. If you zip it and post it here, you might get more people to look at it (and hence, a better chance of a solution) but if you want to email it to ziggy or obp-wan or me, just click on our names to see our profiles - there is an email link under Contact Info.

8. OBP

OBP

slurpee, I have a copy of the database there are no Tables. The Excel Worksheets are the Tables and Access is linked to them.
    Which I find a very odd arrangement, it would be more normal to have the Tables in Access and link Excel to them or Queries of the Tables.
    So I think the problem my be the Linking method employed by 2003.
    Personally I would Import the Tables in to Access and set up the links the other way, that is assuming that the Links are actually required and all the work can't be done in Access.
    Unfortunately I haven't heard any more from ka23fabolous.

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

Ah, yes - frankly, I generally prefer to import the data into Access anyway - if I want to have it in Excel later, I can do that easily. I have managed to have some linked tables work, but I haven't tried it since I got 2003. I do know that MS changed the Office inter-connectivity, based, I have read, on security reasons.

10. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

I have linked Excel tables, and they used to be editable in Office 2000, I just checked and my Office XP won't allow me to edit. My setup does not require me to edit so it is not a problem for me.

according to this article Excel 2003 won't allow it...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HP052416951033.aspx

ka23fabulous if you reply back you will get help on automating an import.

* I just confirmed on one of our Network PC's runnong 2000 version and I can Edit the Excel Linked table

11. slurpee55

slurpee55

Bummer - not that I used it much, but it had uses.

12. ka23fabulous

I appreciate you all looking at this with me. I knew there had to be some kind of security measure not allowing me to edit, but I didn't know if there was a way to bypass that. I had just linked the database to excel to allow our environmental manager to manipulate the numbers a little easier. I can just set up a query so that I can specify the dates & info needed and export it to an excel spreadsheet each month.

But, could someone refresh my memory putting formula for getting an average of the data? It has been quite a while since I've done it and it is not coming back to me.

Again, thanks so much for the help!

13. slurpee55

slurpee55

an average is pretty easy in a query - just bring the table into the query, click on the Totals button (the Epsilon character at the upper right) and where it says Group by, either type in Avg or click in the cell that says Group by and, when the drop-down menu appears, select Avg. If you have several columns of data that you want to average, then if they are called numbers and numbers 2, the average may be derived in a column using the formula: Average: Avg(([numbers]+[numbers 2])/2) where the Group by is listed as an Expression.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice