Access or Sharepint

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nirie1

So I am new to the forum although I have created several databases and SharePoint list in my time. I am trying to create a training database. I know the tables/fields I want and need but have two questions/issues.

If I use access there is the issue of having managers that are employees as well. Create a lookup list column in the employee table that pulls from the employee table. Also how do I track each year?

My use of the database is to have managers go in twice a year and review the employees listed for each training and make updates. Add employees now required to take trainings, mark inactive those who have left, update requirements due to changes in role/title, change manager, and change titles (SP would auto do this but most people here not SP competent and my leaders are against given those outside our dept access to our SP even with tight permissions, its a battle for another day),

I am thinking I will pull reports from the database by:
Manager
Employee Status
Employee ID
Position

This report isn't to track who has taken the training but is to be used by managers to identify who needs to take the trainings identified. I still think SP is a better option and I am working on convincing folks but in the mean time I don't want to update a spreadsheet with 25 tabs for each dept (cant have them filter themselves)

The fields listed below are what I decided on.

Tbl_Employee
EmployeeStatus
EmployeeID
LastName
FirstName
Email
Title
HireDate
PositionDate
Comments

What table for these fields if using Access? Connect to each employee but also employees themselves
MgrLastName
MgrFirstName

Tbl_TrainingTopic. If using SP is it better to just do a list for each year where they can select multiple courses. If Access do I create a course table with a connecting table for year to employee?
Course

OBP

Welcome to the Forum.
I have been working with Access for many years and as you appear to be stuck with using it I can assist you with your design.
In 2009 I worked with another poster and produced the attached database you might like to look at for design details.
I no longer use a Main Menu, I use All tabbed Forms on a tabbed Mainform.

Attachments

Just a quick look over. No Dept listed in employee table? perhaps Manager controls this?
Consider a manager table with a managerID (for employee table link). then when manager changes your not editing each employee.

Also consider including Managers userid. Then when manager opens a form his login id could be use to filter the employees he sees.

I don't fully understand the criteria but wanted to add that I have several hybrid Access databases that pull\edit SharePoint list. This could work in your scenario.

OBP is great to work with, has helped many get Access working . I haven't looked at his example yet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online