1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access point fail to obtain IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hruhru, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hruhru

hruhru Thread Starter

Hey folks. been struggling for days with this! some help would be appreciated!

I currently have a radioADSL so the receiver on my wall is a router, to that i have connected a switch, which again is connected to a TP-Link TL-WA701ND, using that as an access point to connect my wireless gadgets. Problem though is that i cannot connect any wireless gadgets to it, i get stuck at obtaining IP before failed to connect message comes up.

Some things i`ve tried :

Reset of the AP many times
    Checked DHCP settings.
    Changed IP addresses sub-mask, IP range,
    Changed Channel etc network mode etc.

The AP is open, no WAP, WPA or anything.
    There is only wireless connections to the AP so cant check LAN.
    Tryed both on my mobile phone and laptop, both get stuck at obtaining IP

Any ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the IP address of the AP? LAN IP address of the router?

Can you ping the AP from the router or from a computer connected to the router?

3. hruhru

hruhru Thread Starter

The fabric IP of the AP was 192.168.1.254, after trying to change it some times it is now 144.144.144.254. with the same sub-mask of 255.255.255.0
    As the ISP has full controll of the reciever with the router in it i dont think i can ping from it?
    The ip of the router is 192.168.10.1, and i can only access the AP when its directly plugged into the stationary computer as its said in the manual, so pinging there shouldnt be needed? :)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It will be more convenient if you set the AP's IP to 192.168.1.x, where x is not 254 and not in the router's Dhcp server's address range. That way you can access it from any device connected to the router.

Being able to ping (or configure) the AP from a computer connected to the router does not solve your problem, but at least it proves communication between the router and AP. At this time we don't know that you have that. If the router and AP are not communicating that explains why your wireless devices cannot obtain an IP configuration.

5. hruhru

hruhru Thread Starter

i`ll try that tommorrow, thanks.

May that be the problem though? that i collides with eachother?
    i have no idea what the routers DHCP adress range is though.

As the AP only got one LAN entrance i cant ping up against the router as i cant connect anything wireless to it =/ Must have that LAN plug directly in the computer to access the AP.

And does normal switch have any IP adress? anyway to enter that?

Thanks for the tips so far

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In a Command prompt window of a Windows PC connected to the router do

ipconfig

(for Linux or MAC do ifconfig in a terminal/console)

You will see that your computer was assigned an IP (or IPv4) 192.168.1.x. If the x is less than 100 it is probably safe to use 200 - 253 for static IP assignments; if the x is 100 or greater then it is probably safe to use 1 - 99 for static IP assignments. :)

Until you change it's IP to 192.168.1.z and connect it to the router (or switch). Then you should be able to access the AP from any device connected to the router (or switch).

A "normal" switch has no IP address. But if you tell us its brand and model we can make sure we are talking about the same "normal." :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice