1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

access point - network card problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by krikor, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krikor

krikor Thread Starter

hi, I have a Dlink 2100AP..using it as an AP client...It's connected to the laptop through a network card...anyway IPs are assigned automatically by DHCP. The problem is when I change my network card 's MAC address (in the adapter's propreties) I lose connectivity with the Dlink 2100AP.
    Note that I used to do this with no problem...but dunno what happened..maybe I disabled something or changed a setting....
    (network card : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC)

2. avisitor

avisitor

Well, you need to pull an ipconfig /renew after you change its MAC address or you'll lose connectivity. Why in the world do you want/need to change your adapter's MAC address.

3. krikor

krikor Thread Starter

Thanks for your help avisitor...I tried what you said but it didn't work...I found out that I have to turn off the Dlink, change the mac and then turn it on...
    I connect to the internet through a wireless network...sometime this connection stops (can't open web pages or anything)..so when I change my mac I get a new IP over the network and restore internet connection...

P.S : Happy New Year to you and all who read this :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/783799