access point? something like the airport express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

adblink182

ok I am trying to find something that will basically do the same thing as an airport express...

I want to be able to go to someones house, plug something into their WIRED router, and be able to access their internet from my laptop. But I DONT want to have to muck around with their router at all....

doesnt matter if some configuring of the access point (if thats what I need) needs to be done, as long as I dont touch their pc or router

what should I need?

also, if I bought a small wireless router, could I use that too? (for the people who just have one PC with no router) I mean plug in the router, use my laptop to config it and just plug their PC in.....and when I unplug the router and take it home, their PC will run just the same

In the Router mode, it uses DCHP to assign ip addresses . . in WAP mode it accepts an IP address from a router. . you would use the WAP mode when connecting to a router, the Router mode when pluged into a Modem. IT will also act as a wireless client if you do not have a wireless adaptor.

It does seem to work the same as the Dlink . . Netgear makes one similar. The 3Com is gut simple to configure . .

Why not just buy them a wireless router? You'lll pay less than the price of that travel router and then they'll have a wireless as well.

You can also simply plug a RJ-45 cable to their router, if being close to the router is not a problem.

adblink182

ya i guess your right...

do they make compact wireless routers? with additional ports for wired computers?

because the only way of doing this would be adding a small (so you could carry it around) router and when you plugged that in, the persons computer is still able to be on the internet and you would also get the wireless...

now when using a router on a pc for the first time, would there be anything you would have to do to config their computer? or could I do it all from my laptop (wired to the router).

Long story short, I dont want their PC to be touched, I want their pc to work jsut like it did before I got there, internet wise.......just wanna get wireless for me while I'm there and then back to normal when I'm gone

sounds like a regular router to me right?

It works for me.

I got THIS ONE back when Bestbuy had it on sale and it's been working good so far.

I plugged it into an empty LAN port on my wired DI-604 and ran may wireless laptop with out changing the defaults for awhile playing with it.

I had internet access only though.

To use it on my network I reconfigure it as a Access point to work with my Dlink router.

I like it because you can turn it off without affecting the rest of my little network, if you don't want it to run while you are away or yank it to take with you like you are wanting to do.

In short I got mine cheaper than I could buy a access point at the time that I went to get one, but this gives me both options (router or access point), and have a backup router if ever needed.

adblink182

aaaaah interesting! I think I sell that at work as well!

hmmm i think that might be perfect! ya I would only want to share the internet, nothing else...and could use it as a router for those people who only have a modem + 1 pc

and you said you didnt have to touch your di604 settings to get it running?

Keep in mind my Dlink Di-604 router is wired only!

I want to be able to go to someones house, plug something into their WIRED router, and be able to access their internet from my laptop. But I DONT want to have to muck around with their router at all....
The only thing that may cause problems is plugging in two wireless routers that close together!

Other than that, no I did't change any settings when I frist started using it. I just plugged it up right out of the box into the Dlink and logged right onto the Internet wirelessly with my sons and my laptop.

I have not tried it from anyone elses router yet (wired or wirelessly), but it has worked on my setup with just the factory defaults.

I may have just been lucky. lol

Used it that way for 2 months no problems. The only one thing I had changed from the factory default was I did enable WPA after a day or two.

Then my son got to coming in from college on the weekends needing to print somethings off his laptop to the printer that is hooked up to our desktop, located in a different room.

He preferes not having to mess with hooking and unhooking a ethernet cable, so thats when I configured it to be use as a access point only. He likes being mobile, able to logon from anywhere he is in range. Even from outside.

I'm sure other wireless routers would do the samething, if they can be configured as just a access point if you ever needed that option.

I've not had enough experience with different brands to be brand loyal. I just know my Dlink Di-604 and the wireless compact Linksys WRT54GC has played good to gather so far, and done what I've wanted them to even before I started changing settings on it.

adblink182

perfect, you've sold me :)

ya i wouldnt be connecting 2 wireless routers, it would just be a wired one and this compact router.

so what did you have to do when you wanted to setup his laptop to print on the desktop? you changed it to a access point? I thought it woulda been the other way around, access point for just sharing the internet, and then change it to a router function for sharing stuff like printers and files

Modem hooked to WAN port on Dlink router (IP address is 192.168.0.1 > DHCP [Enabled])

Dlink routers LAN port 1 hooked to the Desktop

Dlink routers LAN port 4 hooked to the Wireless Linksys routers LAN port 1.
(WAN port on Wireless Linksys router not used while using as a Access point)

Wireless Linksys routers DHCP [Disabled]

Wireless Linksys router Local IP address changed to 192.168.0.254 (from the default IP of 192.168.1.1). It is now set as a Wireless Access point where I can connect to the internet as well as my local network).

Wireless Linksys router WPA [Enabled] with a encrypted Passphrase.
(Be sure to write your Passphrase down somewhere so you will have it to gain access to the Wireless Linksys router/AP when you want to log onto it wirelessly with a wireless laptop).

192.168.0.254 will be the Wireless Linksys router new log in address now if you ever need to get back into the route for changes.

Note: For Emergencies! There is a small hole where you can reset the router back to all factory defaults with a paper clip. IP address sets back to 192.168.1.1, DHCP sets back to [Enabled], WPA sets back to [Disabled], Encryption passphrase sets back to blank (no passphrase).

========================================================

If you ever want to use the Wireless Linksys router as a router again, log back into it and set the DHCP to Enabled, and plug the modem into the WAN port (now it is set back to a Wireless router).

First get the Desktop and Laptop working before trying to add the printer.

Once you get the Desktop and Laptop working....

1. At the very least, disable all Firewalls (Win XP, Zone Alarm, Norton, etc.) on both computers. Once you get everything working you can Enable your Firewalls back.

2. Set the Printer that is hooked to the Desktop to Share.

3. Then you will have to add the Printer to your Laptop.

Bob Cereilli has a easy step by step instructions on one of his web pages on how to connect to the printer hooked up to the Desktop at http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_net_print.htm

Note: You may have a little extra lag time (10 to 20 sec.) when you print something from the laptop to the printer thats hooked to the desktop, so give it a little extra time to start printing.

adblink182

wow VERY good info man!

thanks so much. I'm HOPEFULLY going to be getting my laptop on tuesday, so I'll update you at that point how everything goes :D

thanks again

There is alot of good help around here to help you.
I know my little set up works good and I've learned it all from here.

My holiday time off is over after tonight, so if I'm slow to reply it is because I'll be back working and don't have time to.

Have a great New Year and Best of Luck!!
It's been fun. :D

adblink182

you rock :D

I'm sure I might have one or 2 questions once I get all this crap together

I'm starting my full time job next week too....so I'll be slow to bug your butt some more haha

happy new year to you too :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online