Access point to router OR router to router?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jethsy

I now have an ethernet network using the Linksys router that I received when I signed up for Vonage (which I recommend and like very much). I would like to make my network wireless, but I would rather not have to spend the big bucks for the Vonage wireless telephone router, since they give no rebate to existing customers--bummer! So, my question is: Linksys' website doesn't recommend using a router to a router, and they do recommend an access point. How does that work? I don't know what an access point is and I would like advice on the best and most economical way to maintain my Vonage service and start a wireless network.
Thanks.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can use a wireless router as an access point. You just don't use the Wan port of the Wireless router. You connect it to one of the lan switch ports.

Access point is just that - it hooks into the wired network and basically changes the Wired to Wireless it does not do the WAN settings I.E. no firewall, no DHCP through the Access point (the router would still do that), no port forwarding yadda yadda yadda.

Wireless routers however have a different configuration you can set it up on a wired network with a wired router by following Johnwill's connecting SOHO routers (a quick search in here will reveal it (I think its posted just below this). Since they are routers they have everything and you need to configure it just right to work on the network.

WAP's tend to be more expensive then Wireless routers though (for whatever reason).

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online