1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

access privileges error in Word, Excel, Adobe pdf

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by loonguy, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loonguy

loonguy Thread Starter

Suddenly, several nights ago, I turned on my laptop at home and got errors that prevented me from opening any Word document, any Excel document and any pdf file. The Word error I get is "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges...." Attempts at Excel and Adobe pdf file opening anywhere on the computer produced the same result. MS-Access, MS-Powerpoint and other file types can be opened as normal. Also, I have no problem opening any Word, Excel or pdf from an external source, like an e-mail attachment or a flash drive. In fact, I can replace the unopenable copy of a document with the same file from a flash drive and it becomes openable from the hard drive. (However, when I try to use Explorer to replace the unopenable copy on the hard drive with the backup from the flash drive, I am told that I do not have permission to do this, so I must first delete the hard drive file and then copy the flash drive copy into the folder where it resided.)

The files that were unopenable at home become openable when I am hooked up to the network at my school. So, the problem mysteriously vanishes.

This laptop is my only computer. Only I have ever used it, and I have gotten nothing of this kind before. However, I do hook it up to my university network when I am there. In such cases, I never get the error. I am on a Lenovo W520 laptop running Windows 7. One more issue that might be related is the annoying fingerprint recognition message that I always have had to click through -- which has gone away now. For over a year, I just declined to use the program, and logged in without it.

Finally, I have recently begun to get a "Windows must now restart because the CMGShield service terminated unexpectedly" message on startup followed by the computer restarting.

Sorry to provide such a long list of problems, but they have all occurred for the first time in the past 3 days. Seems that they might be related to each other.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Hi loonguy and Welcome to TSG!

The files on the remote drive, were they created on the problem system under the same account? When you access your school account, is it on a separate Domain account for the university? On your home profile go to Program Files \ Microsoft Office and locate "EXCEL.EXE" Right click Properties \ Security \ Advanced \ Owner. Who is the current owner? If it isn't you, Are you in the list to Change Owner to? If not, add yourself. Click Other Users and Groups \ Advanced \ find Now and select your account. Under Owner click Edit, select your account, apply to take Ownership. The same will apply in word and the PDF app, probably Adobe. Please post your results.

3. loonguy

loonguy Thread Starter

The files were created on the same system and same account -- some at school, while hooked up to the network, others at home.

The files from school and home are all intermixed, not on a separate domain, I think. That is, I log in to the computer in the same way at school and at home.

I went to EXCEL.EXE. The current owner is "SYSTEM", whatever that means! I am offered the chance to change owner to "Administrators (my address follows this)" and "Last, First (my name)". So, I chose my own name, shut the computer down, started up....and the problem is still there. I then went back to EXCEL.EXE and changed owner to "Administrators (my own address)...", shut down, started up...and the problem is still unfixed. Happy to repeat in Word and Adobe, if this provides more information.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice