1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access problems on XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mr Twinkey, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr Twinkey

Mr Twinkey Thread Starter

Hello

MY computer is Dell Dimension 5100 with Windows XP: SP2

I have three problems on my computer:

1st) I can't access the document files. I downloaded a trial software of Window blinds to see what it is like. When i was installing it it stopped and I got this message.

The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Stardock\ WindowBlinds\Classic\additional_image11.bmp' could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. The system could not find the p

I still over 100gb on my hard drive. What does this mean and how can I go about solving it.

2nd) When looking around the computer I tried to access the Documents folder through My Computer and I get this message.

C:\Documents and settings\All User\Documents is not accessible

Access is denied

I have no idea why it does this. I can access the My Document folder fine and get onto my control panel and all that stuff fine. I was wondering if this problem and the 1st problem are linked. I have not messed with any access settings and I am the only person who uses this computer.

3rd) This is bizarre to me. Every time I open a folder or IE a window comes up saying

Please wait while Windows Configures Adobe Acrobat 7.0

Then a loading bar appears below and it takes ages to get it done. I started using Firefox now as it does not do this when I open it up.

I tried uninstalling it but it still does this. Even when the program does not show up on my programs list or my Add or Remove program list. How can I stop this, It's very annoying.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    I would try a system restore to before the time you installed Window Blinds. If that doesn't work, I'd try a repair install. I think your OS got messed up by the faulty install...

3. Mr Twinkey

I don't have a system restore. I never thought about setting one up.lol

Anyway the problem I have with the Acrobat 7 started long before I tried installing window blinds

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Some of what you describe indicates you are not an administrator on your pc. May want to check your user level.
    I would suggest you logon as administrator and see if you can see all users folder.

BTW all users folder has nothing to do with you accessing YOUR my documents and settings which you may want to do as a test.

Uninstall the blinds program. Sounds like it may have had an unexpected payload included [translated it means you infected yourself with spyware/malware with the download]

Repair install sounds premature. Engaging and creating restore points is ALWAYS an excellent idea ESPECIALLY before installing ANY software. But do this only when you know your machine is clean and bad guy free.

5. Mr Twinkey

The only user of the computer is me and I have the only account set up as administrator.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice