1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access query to open Add form or Edit Form

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by needaccesshelp, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needaccesshelp

needaccesshelp Thread Starter

I am a new user to Access 2010. My operation system is Window 7.
    I have created a data base with two tables. The first table contains a list of students and their personal information. The second table contains student subjects and has many subject records with a relationship to the student record. The relationship key is the student id.

I have created a form that populates with the student information and contains a subform that populates with that students subjects. All of this works great for existing students. I can edit the student information and and new subject records.

Now here is my problem. I would like to create a form that preceeds my current form. The user would input a student number and click search button. If that student number exists on the student data base then the form that I created should open populated with the student data and their subjects and allow the user to update it. If the student number does not exist, then I would like that same form (or a form with the same layout) to open and the only data populated is the student number that was input on the search form. The user should be able to input all of the student data and course information and hit a save button that would insert the records into the correct database tables.

I have tried many methods to create the intitial search form that would open the correct version of the student form without any progress. Could someone provide me with the macro that would open that correct form, or set the existing forms to the correct state to handle either 'retrieve/edit/save' or 'input/add' functionality. The other issue that I am having, when the record does not exist, I would like the student number that was input on the search form to auto populate on the Student Profile form when a no find occurs.

I sincerly appreciate any help that you could provide to my questions. I am a very basic Access beginner and I do not know VB code, so the more specific you can be the better.

2. OBP

OBP

needaccesshelp, welcome to the Forum.
    First a couple of points, you do not need to "save" the record, access does so automatically. Also when creating a New record the subform should be automatically populated with the Student Number, this is controlled by the master child links.

The combo you need is a Find combo which can be created using the combo wizard, that combo can have it's Not In List Property set to yes, which can then be used to trigger adding the student that to the table and then to the form (and combo).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice