1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access searchable form

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jppnm, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jppnm

jppnm Thread Starter

Hello,

I read some things in here about Access and searchable forms, but I'm not sure its right for me. I'd like to create a report that initially has a search box for an order number. These numbers are ALL unique. When I type in an order number, it pulls this order up in a printable format. I have the table built and form built and linked so I can input info but I want the report so I can search, find and print.

How can I do this?

2. OBP

OBP

Ideally you would use a "Find Combo" on your Form and once the Record is displayed use the form to filter the report either by passing the record order number in the open report VBA code which doesn't always work correctly or filter a Query that is used as the Report's record source.
    You use the
    forms![formname]![fieldname]
    as the Criteria for the query where the formname is the actual name of your form and the fieldname is the actual name of the order number field.

3. jppnm

jppnm Thread Starter

Ok, but is this done on a report or form? My end result is a report that is printable that will search for an order number and pull it up so it looks decent printed.

4. OBP

OBP

It is the normal way to filter for a Report.

5. jppnm

jppnm Thread Starter

Ok, so report. Sorry I'm level 0 here. So will I see this option when I create a report from my table?

6. OBP

OBP

No you create a Query from the table and then create the Report from the Query.
    In the query you enter a Criteria in the first row of the Order Number coulmn.
    it takes the format of Forms![formname]![Fieldname].

Have you ever created a form "Find Combo", it is not the default setting for a combo when using a Combo Wizard?

7. jppnm

jppnm Thread Starter

This is my very first actual data containing database buddy. I have no clue about this stuff. Could you step by step it? I'm getting what you're saying, but I learn by seeing steps. Once I get that I got it. Thanks by the way for the quick replies!

8. OBP

OBP

Do you know how to create a Query using the database "Create" Main Menu function?

To create a combo you use the form in Design mode an the "Controls Section" of the Main Menu, the Combo Wizard is the 4th item from the left on the top row of the Controls section.
    You click on it and then move the cursor on to the form and click where you want the combo box, you will then be given 3 options, you want the last option "Find a record on my form based on the value I selected in my combo box". The wizard will take you through the rest of it.

9. jppnm

jppnm Thread Starter

Ok, searching in my form is easy. There's a little search box in the lower center screen that can do this and I can pull it right up but the problem is that it wants to print several entries, not just the one I searched for. What I want is to search for "Order # 123455" and pull up that one single order so I can print just that order. Right now in my form I CAN search, but not print that single search result. Sorry if I'm not understanding you, I'm new and seriously thanks again

EDIT* Wow, I spell like crap today

10. OBP

OBP

That is what the combo box does, it lists the Order Numbers and when select one it only displays that one.
    You then print the Report and the Criteria in the query only selects the record shown on the form.

11. OBP

OBP

I have attached quite a few versions of this method to Threads on this Forum in the past.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice