1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Access showing "ghost" records

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jamesb2, Apr 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. jamesb2

jamesb2 Thread Starter

I have a very simple SQL database with an access front end form. For some reason the first 23 records are the same record over and over again even though there is only one copy of the record in the table on SQL. The table shows 194 records and so does the form. It's almost as if the first 23 duplicates are "covering up" (for lack of a better term) the actual records that are there. I ran a database check on SQL and found no errors. I also refreshed the linked table information in access. Thank you in advance for any help.

2. OBP

OBP

Is the form based on a query or directly to the SQL Table?
    if you create a query to the SQL table what does it show?

3. jamesb2

jamesb2 Thread Starter

the form is directly linked to the sql table. Also, if I do a query it shows the duplicate records 23 times but only a single entry in sql. by query I went into access and created a new query and selected all. If I do a query and type like "......" it only returns one record.

4. OBP

OBP

What kind of connection are you using to SQL?
    ie do you have any connections set?

5. jamesb2

jamesb2 Thread Starter

just a system dsn to the server. nothing fancy

6. OBP

OBP

I do not know much about SQL servers, but others I have helped on here have spoken about ODBC connections.
    I have no idea whether it has any bearing on your problem though.

7. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Hello Jamesb2,

This one sounds a bit complex! Just for clarification, you are viewing the information through a Form and not a Report correct? The access front end works differently for each of these. ;)

Personally, I would start by checking that the primary key on the table does not contain duplicates. Also, if there is a many-to-many dependency between your back end tables (such as a multi value three table configuration) this can potentially cause similar issues.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice