1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access table data INTO foxpro tables

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by usmc-ratman, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. usmc-ratman

usmc-ratman Thread Starter

04/21 - Moved question to this forum from Development Forum​

Workstations: 13 XP Pro systems
    Server: Win 2003

Currently using MSAccess 2k database for client listing and associated notes, etc (one-to-many / tbl_client to tbl_notes). We recently purchased a software package, and I believe I read in the literature that it is built on sybase platform?? In talking to the company about migrating data, one of their techs stated that they Export access tables to csv comma del format, bring the new systems table open in foxpro, append the data from the csv files. He said that foxpro accepts the tables better, and keeps the table in a correct format for the commercial program to read/use them.
    So I contacted a friend who had Visual FoxPro 6 on his laptop, and he let me use the laptop for a short period of time.
    I exported a few of the MSaccess tables to csv format, and then opened FoxPro.... BIG SURPRISE...
    Never used or even seen screen shots of FoxPro, so when it opened up, I guess I was expecting something "similar" to access or whatever, but that was not the case.... Foxpro uses a command window, and, ... well Im lost.
    I opened one of the commercial programs tables in foxpro and it took me a few minutes to look at the data currently in their table, figured out it was some "browse" command, but absolutely - totally different than what I was expecting.
    QUESTION: How do I append data to existing tables, from csv files in FoxPro
    QUESTION: Is there some down and dirty tutorials on FoxPro 6 that I can read through. Im not too proud to ask for some help here, I pride myself in being able to figure out new/different software packages, but this has got me stumped. Everything I type in google about foxpro 6 takes me to msdn and a bunch of specific VB problems or something,
    Once I get the raw data into the commercial programs tables, then I can link them into the clients listing, I just need help getting started.
    Thanks in advance...
    Semper Fi
    JR

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

I haven't used VFP in about a year, but I have some good links at home that had Video tutorials, I'm just posting so I don't forget. If I have time I'll install it again and check the importing and Appending.

3. usmc-ratman

Ziggy - I really thank you very much, any information you can link me to would be great.

4. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

ok I found the link.. http://www.garfieldhudson.com/FreeVideos.aspx I think they are based on VFP 9 but you can relate most back to 6.

I know it is hard to find good resources for VFP, I like this site because there are some good videos to get you started.... and you can download them so you can view them offline. If you subscribe for $90 bucks you can download more for a year... but there are plenty of free ones to learn from.

5. Aftab

Aftab

I have a little foxpro knowledge from several years ago which may be of help to you. Some of the commands I can remember are:

OPEN databasename - opens a database (if one exists), the database name needs to be the full path+name
    USE tablename INDEX indexfilename - open's a table (if table is not in a database then need full path, indexfilename also needs full path)
    REINDEX - reindexes the table
    BROWSE - to view the table
    APPEND FROM tablename - append from another foxpro table
    APPEND FROM csvfilename CSV - append a CSV file to the currently open table

If I remember correctly you can enter a SQL command in the console window to get a result set so you can join tables etc.
    If you're still stumped, I'll see if I can find any documentation. My knowledge is a little rusty as I've not used it for along time.

6. Aftab

Aftab

7. usmc-ratman

Guys - Thank you for the information, sorry I wasnt able to respond for a couple of days, but will take your information and run with it :)
    Will post back shortly for an update

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice