1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access to Excel analysis question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by frigginphils781, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frigginphils781

frigginphils781 Thread Starter

Hi,

Today at work I ran in to an issue with one of our Access 2003 databases converting to an Excel 2003 spreadsheet. What happens is that the database generates an organized print out sheet in Access '03. After it's created the user tried to basically import the same sheet in to Excel '03 to make changes to it. They do this by clicking "Tools" then moving there cursor over "Office Links" and then clicking on "Analyze in Excel", the conversion takes place with no error messages displayed. Everything seem to be OK except in one column of the record where in certain cells numbers that were there before have completely changed. It's not an overwhelming number of changes in the cells but I notice that it only seems to happen to ceratin numbers.

The type of number I am speaking of is a ten digit number with a space between the 7th and the 8th digit (i.e. 1234567 890). The one common thing I notice is that the number before it is scrambled in Excel has an '001', '002', or '003' for the last 3 digits. After the conversion takes place the number, instead of being 10 digits, becomes only 7 digits and is nothing like the number that was in Access. There are other numbers that end in '085' or '476' that are exactly the same but ones that go sequentially or are just '00X' change. I know I am being very vague in my description but that's the best as I can describe at this point. We had just recently upgraded from Office 2000 (yes I know, we are way behind) and our Access databases were actually created in Access '97! So it may just be that. If anyone has ever ran in to a similar situation and can help I'd be most appreciated because I am completely stumped. Thank you!

2. OBP

OBP

There is another Thread on this Forum on the same subject of using the Analize with Excel which had a very similar problem.
    You could try searching for it.

3. OBP

OBP

4. frigginphils781

OK, i'll look it over and try out the steps, thank you for such a quick response!

5. frigginphils781

Thank you very much OBP, the support link worked like a charm.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice