1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access to local folders using GPO

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BryanM, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BryanM

BryanM Thread Starter

Hi there,

Can anyone help with the following problem:

All the PC's on my network run Windows XP SP2 and connect to Windows 2000 servers. I need to give users access to 2 directories on the each PC that users have full control over. The others should be restricted (as they already are).

I though that I could change the Group Policy of the OU and add the values %systemdrive%\<foldername> under Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->File System and set permissions on the folder, but this does not work.

Obviously I don't want to have to visit each pc to do this so wondered if anyone has any ideas?

I had thought of adding the <domain>\Domain Users group to the security on the folder on the local pc but again would want to do this via policy and not visit each one.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Regards,
    Bryan Morris

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

3. BryanM

BryanM Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thanks for this but it isn't quite what i'm looking for - the folders I want them to have access to are on the C: of their XP machines and i'd like, if possible, togive access via a Group Policy on the OU they're a member of.

I don't have any problems with network folders.

Unless I'm missing something you've said?

Thanks for replying,
    Bryan

4. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

yeah, you can use a login script to set permissions on the users local machine using the xcacls.exe

When the user logs in it will run the script, set the permissions and all is good.

5. BryanM

BryanM Thread Starter

Ok, i'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for replying - it's really appreciated.

ps. Is there any reason why the method I was using doesn't work?

6. BryanM

BryanM Thread Starter

Hi there,

Following up from this, i'm still geting problems. Becuase i'm running the script logged in as the user, the Xcacls command fails with an Access Denied error (presumably because the user didn't have access in the first place?).

Not sure how i'd run this as an administrator without logging in at each pc and resetting the permissions then.

Is there another way or am I missing something (again!).

Thanks for replying again.

Regards,
    Bryan

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!