1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access to partition D on hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vistanoob18, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vistanoob18

vistanoob18 Thread Starter

What is the key you hit at startup to access this? I fell into the trap of believe I had an actual vista disc with my laptop and it's put me in a world of hurt. I tried re-installing (yes wiped my hard drive clean) and now I can't get my computer to work obviously because the instal failed.

I heard it was F11 but that didn't work and ctrl + F11 didn't work either.

Also, will this allow me to reinstall vista properly then or will it allow me to burn the disc so I can?

Thank you.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

What brand/model laptop is it? Are you sure there's a restore partition?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you wiped your drive, you may have also wiped the recovery partition on the drive. How did you do it?

4. vistanoob18

I just re-formatted the c drive. The partition is still there. I have a Dell 1720

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can also try booting directly from the recovery partition using SGD Boot Disk - This zip file contains both CD and floppy images. This boot disk can hide and unhide partitions, activate partitions, boot Windows or any other OS whether there is an MBR present or not, boot from a second drive, restore Windows boot (equivalent to fdisk /mbr or fixmbr), add or remove GRUB, restore LILO, live-swap drives and more.

7. vistanoob18

wow, thank you for all that info. I'm going to try the disk fix tonight when I get home from work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice