1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access to secure websites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Topazz, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

I have just searched the archives for this problem and have come across a thread by someone with almost virtually identical symptoms http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=46424&highlight=secure+websites

Unfortunately it appears that it wasn't solved but I'm hoping that someone else can help. To save you a trip to the other thread, I'll repeat the symptoms for my machine:

I'm using Internet Explorer 5.5 with SP 2 under Windows 98. There are some secure websites that I cannot access. No error messages, the system just "hangs" on a totally blank page with the progress bar indicating about one third transferred. I have tried the IE Repair Tool with no success, have tried checking and unchecking all the security settings in Tools/Advanced, including the SSL 2 and 3. Have tried setting Security level to Medium and pressing Reset. Have installed and uninstalled Zonealarm 3 times and now not use it, do not have a proxy and I have cookies enabled for the secure website I visit.

The particular website is Cabelas - I can add something to my Cart, but cannot get to the checkout where it appears that you select options on a secure form. It tries, but then the connection stops responding and I get hung on a blank page.
    EDIT: Just remembered something - I have tried using Netscape Communicator and the same thing happens, so maybe it isn't an IE specific problem?

This is driving me nuts. There are other problems that may or may not be related, such as on other sites not being able to click on a button with a javascript link to open another window, and just recently (since installing the SP2??) I can't put animated graphics in my emails. I get a message "An error has occurred in this dialog. Error: 195 'undefined' is null or not an object". These two latter problems are only recent, since downloading and installing the Critical Updates for Win 98 and the SP2 for IE. They could pre-date these downloads but I don't know for sure.

Sorry for this being so long-winded but I have tried to anticipate queries that may be asked. I hope someone can help, because I really would like to avoid a reformat at the moment.

2. subaruwrx

subaruwrx

reinstall our browser. Are you at ie5.5 SP2 ( i saw you are at SP2 , i just wanted to make sure its IE 5.5). If so, click on help, about internet explorer. It should show the cipher strength. It shold also say 128. If it says anything different, or "0" there is a fix for that. http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q261/3/28.asp

Also, did you email the webmaster to see if there is something wrong with their site? Have you tried netscape?
    Hope this helps...
    --Adam

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Thank you for replying.

subaruwrx: 'Yes' to all your questions, and cipher strength is 128.

Rollin' Rog: 'Yes' to your question also. Makes no difference unfortunately.

Obviously this one is none too common! Looks like a reformat will have to be done :( I get the colly-wobbles thinking about that, because I don't think I have got disks for all my drivers. They don't all appear to be standard windows drivers either. I will have to start another thread I think...

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The only other thing I can think of is to try disabling all startup applications which may be running in the background. It's possible there may be stuff there you don't even know about which could cause a conflict. You can do this by going to Start and running: msconfig

You can try access without loading any of the "startup group" by clearing the check for that on the General page. But for routine purposes you should click on the startup tab and at least have scanregistry, systray and your antivirus enabled.

6. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Tried all your suggestions with no change, unfortunately. Thanks anyway Rollin' Rog, I appreciate your efforts to help :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice