1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access to shared folders

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fidesachates, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fidesachates

fidesachates Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have two machines both running Vista (one a 32-bit Home Premium laptop and another 64-bit Home Premium desktop). These machines are on my private network behind a home router. My laptop has a folder that's being shared (procedure used: right click folder, click sharing, gave "Everyone" full access, clicked ok). I went into Network and Sharing Panel and turned off password sharing, enabled public sharing (not that it pertains to this case, but I enabled it just in case). I then went on my desktop and right clicked "My Computer", clicked map network drive, and attempted to map "\\192.168.1.102\NOC". I got nothing. My desktop claims that the laptop wasn't responding. This is my problem: I can't access my shared drive from my desktop to my laptop. HOWEVER, I can access my desktop's shared folders from my laptop. Below I will list everything I've done to attempt to fix the issue. I hope you all can give me new suggestions.

1. Compare advanced firewall settings for both computers
    2. Open up ports 138, 139, 445 on my laptop
    3. nmaped my laptop from my desktop. The results claim the above mentioned ports are closed even though I manually opened them. I then turned off my laptop's firewall and ran nmap again. This time port 139 and 445 came up as "filtered".
    4. Ran wireshark on my laptop while my desktop attempted to make a connection. Wireshark didn't see any packets from my desktop except for Synergy packets which I was running. (side question here, does the windows firewall prevent wireshark from seeing blocked packets?)

I really appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction. Feel free to reply with tech jargon; my background is: bachelor of science majoring in computer science and 3.5 years as a network engineer for a large network infrastructure dealing in mainly cisco equiptment and all types of client machines.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'd start by disabling all the firewalls totally.

Can you ping each way by computer name? That's the first thing to get working.

Let's see this from each computer.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. fidesachates

fidesachates Thread Starter

I had disabled both firewalls and could ping each other.

However, unfortunately I have to leave this issue unresolved because I purchased a new SSD(solid state drive) a few days ago and installed a new windows installation on it last night. The problem is now solved as a side effect of the installation (obviously).

Sorry!

P.S. I highly recommend people buy SSD's if they can afford. The difference is like night and day for loading applications. I installed Windows in 13 minutes, loaded in 20 seconds (not benchmark result, self timed from the moment I hit the power button to being able to log in). PM if anyone wants benchmark results.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the price is night and day too. :D

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice