1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access two networks from one PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mackmeter, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mackmeter

mackmeter Thread Starter

Hi:confused:

I work from a home office where I have a cable modem with a router (Netgear). My company has supplied me with a CISCO 800 series VPN router that connects to an IP phone. I also need to connect my PC to the CISCO router if I want to have access to corporate drives, AD, web-site, etc. This CISCO router is plugged in to one of the ports on my Netgear router Easy so far.

However, I have a printer, other pc's, simpleshare drive, and other programmable devices on my local (Netgear) network router. Of course, I cannot access those devices when I am plugged in to the CISCO router.

I'd like to be able to access everything all of them time, only routing necessary traffic through the CISCO router. The rest bypassing the CISCO router to the local network or the internet directly.

What is the best way to approach this. I have Dell M4300 laptop in a docking station. Should I just get a PCMCIA NIC and be done with it? What is the best way to control which NIC various programs go through. (e.g. I may want IE to use the corproate CISCO VPN for some tasks, but bypass it for others)?

Thanks!!

2. hermes

hermes

I think you need to connect the Cisco router directly to the broadband connection. If they sent it out to you they probably already configured the login details and expect you to use just that. Only traffic to your corporate address range will be encrypted so you should be able to work locally. If you still cannot ask whoever provided the router about setting up split-tunnelling

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice