1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access: Using Two Addresses

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sle, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sle

sle Thread Starter

This Q is ultimately about organizational structure, but let me give some background first. I have the info already in a db that I inherited from someone who has since quit. It works, but I was hoping to make the structure more intuitive, make it easier to input data and (most importantly) cut down on the repetitive typing.

So, the db is ultimately for keeping track of sites (ie, properties) that my firm does work on. So the db has three tables with diff fields, and they're all tied together by a 9 digit number (the Fac ID). I've got a master "data entry" form so I can input all that data at once, and that works fine.

The tricky part, for me, is the addresses. For each site, I want to have the client address as well as the address for the property owner (the client often is not the actual property owner). I understand the "lookup wizard" function, and I've used that successfully to pull in one address in my test db. I'm just not sure how to do it w.two addresses that are sometimes the SAME address. I had hoped to just be able to check a box or something if the addresses were the same.

Adding to the complexity is that some of our clients have more than one business, so Site 1 will be handled by Wilson Oil while Site 2 is handled by Wilson Energy, etc.

I've attached two files: the test db along with my "map" of how I've got it structured. I'd be grateful for any help, as I'm stumped and not sure what direction to go in. This isn't covered in _Access 97 for Dummies_! :mad: :D

Note: The attached db is actually in Access 2002, b/c that's what I have at home. I haven't, tho, done anything that can't be replicated in Access 97.

Attached Files:

2. sle

sle Thread Starter

bump

3. Rockn

Rockn

The property owner needs to be tied to the property owner somehow. Create a table for property owners and have a linked key between the owner and client table using a one to many relationship. This way you will only have to enter the property owner once in it's own table since they have more than one client. you should then be able to create a sub-form based on the linked fields between the clients and owners.

4. sle

sle Thread Starter

Thank you! I'll have to chew on it awhile (and go look up subforms :D), but I think that sounds good. A different way to approach and all. Thx again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice