Access: Vertical Report Format

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gbole

I have a large name and address database put into Access and I cannot get it to print out in a simple format - without titles and in sequential order as:

Name
Address
Phone

Name
Address
Phone
etc
I have two problems - I cannot get titles to not print (as Name:) and when I tried to convert to Word the phone number lost its characters - automatic ( ) and - and printed as 5615755188.

Anything you could suggest would be extremely helpful.

George

Anne Troy

Anne
Just 'cause none of our Access guys are answering, I edited your question's title and will try this response:

Why not use Word mailmerge instead? Go to Tools-Mailmerge, choose labels. Choose the Avery 5160 labels. Choose *.mdb as the file type, then pick your table/query. Put your merge codes into the label format and close the mailmerge helper. Delete the 2nd and 3rd columns. This should work fine for you. Hit the abc (this button actually also has greater than/less than symbols on it, but it doesn't show up right if I use the html here) button on the mailmerge toolbar to get a sample.

First problem: "Name" is an illegal field name, because it is an Access reserved word. That is to say, some words have a special meaning to Access code, and thus cannot be used as field names. Make it Nm, or EmpNm, or something else. Everywhere in the db, not just in the report.

Also do not name fields things like Sum, Average, Expression, For, Next, Time, Date, If, Then, Loop, Do, Else, On, etc. (I realize some of those would make pretty stupid field names, but it's just so that you understand the idea.)

As for the phone numbers, it's because you're using an input mask, but not saving the value to the table with that input mask. You can search Access help to learn more about what they are and how they work, but on the report control in question, find the Input Mask property in the properties sheet, and put this:
Code:
"(###) ###-####"
That should do it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online