Access Win 7 Desktop from XP PC via Home Network?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CluelessInSeattl

Will
I have a couple of hand-me-down PCs on a Windows Home Network; one runnning Windows XP Pro and the other running Windows 7 Home.

I still use the XP machine as my primary PC because I've never been able to figure out how to save or copy files to the Win 7 machine (even though it was given to me over four years ago).

The Win 7 machine is named "Bob" because that's the name of the guy who gave it to me.

I get this error on the XP-PC when I try to access the desktop of the Win7-PC via my home network:

\\Bob\Desktop on Bob is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.

On the Win7-PC, I've set the permissions for "Desktop on Bob" to "Everyone" with full control to read and write. But Windows 7 won't even allow my XP-PC to look at the contents of "Desktop on Bob," much less copy or save files to that location.

I'd be grateful for some help configuring the Win7-PC so that it will allow me to copy and save files to the desktop (and other folders, such as the documents folder).

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

TerryNet

Terry
Do you have at least one account on both machines (with the same password)?

Why access the Desktop folder remotely? It makes much more sense to me to use a less important folder for file sharing. In fact, since you are just starting out with networking why not just use the Public folders at first?

CluelessInSeattl

Will
Thanks, TerryNet, for the speedy reply!

I've had the two PCs networked for the last four years. And before that I had three machines running Windows XP on a Windows Home Network for ten or so years.

I don't a have a password protected account on either machine.

Back when all three of my machines were running XP, my network behaved as if the three machines were just separate drives on one big virtual PC. I seem to recall that I could freely move files back and forth from any folder on any machine to any folder on either of the other two machines.

But when I got the Windows 7 machine, I soon discovered that it doesn't work that way anymore.

You mentioned the "public" folder. I just Googled that and it looks like I may have to have to learn some new habits. Does this mean that from now on am I going to have to get used to first saving or copying files from the XP-PC to the public folder on the Win7-PC, and only then will I be able to move the files to where I really want to store them?

Is there a way to designate my Libraries folder and its sub-folders as "public"?

Last edited:

TerryNet

Terry
I've had the two PCs networked for the last four years
So file sharing has been working for you for four years and this problem just arose? What happened just before the failure?

I don't a have a password protected account on either machine.
Could be part of the problem; but not if the file sharing has been working this way for four years.

Does this mean that from now on am I going to have to get used to first saving or copying files from the XP-PC to the public folder on the Win7-PC, and only then will I be able to move the files to where I really want to store them?
No. It's just easier, especially for one-time or occasional use. I inferred from your initial post that you were only, or mainly, interested in copying files from the XP to the Windows 7 so that you could more-or-less retire the XP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online