1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access XP Form Not displaying Table data

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by TMet, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TMet

TMet Thread Starter

Hello OBP and others,

I have 3 Access XP survey forms that are not displaying the uploaded data in the tables, though they are restricting the number of records to the number of surveys in entered into the tables (as they should be doing). The "Data Entry" settings are set to NO for all forms and subforms. Do you have any suggestions as to how this can be fixed?

Thank you,
    TMet

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Check the Record Source is the Table.

3. TMet

TMet Thread Starter

OBP,

The record source for the two subforms are the tables. The main form has the following record source:

SELECT tblReservation.*, tblContractor.CoName FROM tblContractor INNER JOIN tblReservation ON tblContractor.SCENo=tblReservation.ContractorID;

Thanks,
    TMet

4. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Do the Subforms show all records when opened individually?
    I don't like "Joined recordsets" in form Record Sources unless absolutely necessary, it is possible that it is afecting the Master/Child Links to the Subforms, which you also need to check.

5. TMet

TMet Thread Starter

OBP,

It is entirely possible the joined recordsets are affecting the subforms, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. You were kind enough to create the forms for me (about 6 months ago) and have been wonderful to work with. Also, when the data is entered into the forms everything works correctly. Data is entered and saved in the tables and when I close the form and open it again the information appears in the forms. It's as if there is a link that is created when the data is entered directly into the form as opposed to being uploaded. Any ideas?

Thank you,
    TMet

6. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Can you send me a copy of the database?

7. TMet

TMet Thread Starter

I'll send you a copy shortly. I'm trying to figure out how to zip it. :) I don't have a program to do it.

8. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

TMet, the ContractorSurvey Form has a Subform for the Contact for the Reservation, the majority of which are missing.
    The Subform on the Contacts subform is using the Reservation Number and Contact ID as master/Child Links.
    Because the Contact ID is missing it can't display old data.
    The strange thing is that when there are Contacts in the first Subform it is not being transferred to the Sub Subform.
    I am not sure why, but for some reason I left the Reseravation and Contacts on that form as Combos, as if you were supposed to select them.
    It should show the Data for those records that have Contact Person (if the ID had been stored in the Table) and it does if you add the relevant ContactID. But it can't show the data for those that have no Contact IDs at all.
    So I am afraid a bit of a rethink is called for. You either need a Default "Contact Person" like "No Contact person" which can be applied to all those without Contacts, or create some kind of Contact for every Reservation.

9. TMet

TMet Thread Starter

OBP,

What you have found is part of the overall problem requiring a database. The data that is being collect has very little integrity. The database is supposed to help correct that. For every reservation # (tblreservations) there should be at least one contact person. However that data I'm afraid is going to have to be added once the database it turned over to the group for them to do data integrity checks. That is why blanks are seen. In the Contractor Survey the reason for the combo boxes for reservation # and contact person is so the person doing the survey can select the applicable items. Yes they need to remain combo boxes. At this point I would be happy to figure out why the Contacts in the first Subform are not being transferred to the Sub Subform. Can it be possible that the uploaded data isn't coming through on the subform due to a data type issue or something that simple?

10. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I will take a look. I will also add a Contact called "Contact Not Known" and put that in all those records which do not have a Contact ID. I will also add the contact IDs that should be in the Table.

The only problem with the Combo boxes being used by the User was that on the version that you sent me the Combos where set to "Visible = No" so that they were not visible to be used.

11. TMet

TMet Thread Starter

The combo boxes you are referring to should not be visible. I believe I added them to the form as a combo box and didn't change them back to text boxes. Does this matter? The only two visible combo boxes should be "Select Reservation #" on the main form and "Contact Person" on the first subform.

12. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I am not sure if the fact that were combos was preventing the Contact ID being stored, but I will try and fix that.
    I have looked at the Contacts Table and there are 3446 contacts in there, so the users should be able to get the correct data in the table.

13. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I have looked again and the Res and Contact IDs are that table so we should be able to get the data in the Survey data updated based on that, unless you have some res # not in the database.

14. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I have just checked with an Unmatched query wizard, all the Res # in the Contacts table are in the Res table and all the Survey Res # are in the Survey table so I should be able to update it without too much trouble.

15. TMet

TMet Thread Starter

It is always possible there are reservation #'s not in the db but I did my best to eliminate that issue.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/934551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice