1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Accessing a user's "documents and settings" when it's "protected"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Akito, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

So I have my entire hard drive backed up to an image file. I had to format and put a new hard drive in my machine. All is fine and dandy, but when I try to access my user's folder in "documents and settings" on the mounted "image" all I get is "access is denied" - anyone know how to fix this, or get around it?

2. smbd

smbd

What backup software do you use?

3. Kitch

Kitch

4. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Hey guys

I use acronis true image 8.0. I created a hard drive image on an external USB hard drive.

Kitch - thanks for the info! For some reason, when I follow those steps (and I have disabled simple file sharing) I am still unable to take ownership of the file. On step 4 I am unable to see any names, everything is greyd out.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Unfortunately, you can't change any permissions in the Acronis mounted image. It is read-only. In order to access those files, you will need to restore the image to a partition and then use the above procedure to access the files through permissions configuration.

Chances are that you won't be able to copy just the Documents folder to a drive and then access it as above, but you could try.

6. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil, I didn't even think about that, that they were read-only. Mucho Gracais.

I think you're right, I'll have to restore it, I'm pretty sure a copy won't work, unless acronis has an extract feature. Hmmm..

I'll try that and get back to you.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Please do. I'd be interested in how you make out since this sort of problem occurs from time to time.

8. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Sorry about the late, LATE reply.

It did in fact work. After restoring the image to a different hard drive I was able to access the folder.

MUCHO THANKS!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/397781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice