1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

accessing backup tape question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by normpeterson, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. normpeterson

normpeterson Thread Starter

Hi. We have windows 2000 server runnning here. How can I access the backup tapes to make sure they are backing up correctly each night? I dont know much, but I think I read about an active directory or something you have to go through to get to them? The backup drive is not listed under windows explorer, so I am assuming it is something like this. This does not seem like it should be anything too difficult to do, is it? Thank all! Norman.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What tape backup software are you using and is there a log that that software creates?

3. normpeterson

Hello Bob. It uses Dell DLTtape IV. I have no idea if any log is created, but I would think so. The guy that set the network up works for the government and is educated in all kinds of networks and the like, so I assume it is. And in case you are wondering, he only calls back or checks in once in a blue moon here, so waiting for him to help is useless. I have already called him and am still waiting for his call back from a question last Novbember! Isn't there a way to just access the tape just as if it was a disk or cd in the A: or c: drives? Thanks! Norman.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That is the kind of tape drive you have.

But what is the tape software that is being used. For example, Veritas' BackupExec is a common one.

Also, if you tech guy is not that reliable, you should make sure you can easily restore any files. I have pretty much all my customers using removable drives for backups rather than tapes. There are several advantages. Much lower cost. Much more reliable restores (I don't care how well something backs up. I care about how reliable and easy it is to restore). Often the customer can do both the backups and restores on their own.

So in addition to your original question regarding determining if your backups are working, is the restore process working would be another good thing to find out. Better now that when it is something critical.

5. normpeterson

Thanks Bob. I have no idea at all what tape software is used. I take it I need to open a program up to access the tape then. Thanks. Norman.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes you need some kind of program to access the tapes.

You might try looking in Start / Programs to see what is listed there. You might also try calling your tech guy back again.

7. normpeterson

Thanks Bob. I though it was accessed through something called active directory, or something like that under the administrative tools area. I will see if there are any programs that stand out that look like they are for the tapes. If I do find it, I assume it is easy to see the tape, just like looking on ones local drive, I assume. And as for the network guy, forget it. The more he teaches me, the less he is needed, at least that is how I see it. But in 8 months here, he has shown me nothing, so his job is safe! I have a better chance of winning the lottery this week! Thanks again! Norman.

8. normpeterson

Bob, one last thing. I just saw a program called "Tapeware". I tried to access, but of course it uses a different password than I have! :-( I guess this is what I use since it says it is for backups, etc. Now if only I can get the password!!!!!!! Oh well. Thanks for the help! Norman.

9. wedor

wedor

Tapeware is a known back-up program, have you tried no password?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Why not just ask the person that installed the software what the password is.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice